Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You'll have to remember, if she's on a ship, she'll be making money. My grandmother ... General Blackberry forum

MeatLoafT no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

You'll have to remember, if she's on a ship, she'll be making money. My grandmother sent me money all the time because she didn't think I got paid, LOL. I was in from 1985-1989, I cleared over $500 every two weeks with sea pay and had nothing to spend it on. That was as an E-4. I understand your concern though. Also, every Navy port we pulled into, there were free phone services available (this was in Europe, Spain, Italy, France, etc.) Granted, you got about 20 minutes but cellular was way in the future when I was in... LOL.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by citymotors View Post
    What makes at&t and T-mobile usable over seas and not Sprint? What kind of roaming charges will she incur while overseas? I hate to see her get a $400 phone bill!
    Thanks again for you help!
    I travel all over the world. I have two lines, one with T-Mobile and one with AT&T. My Curve AT&T 8310 works everywhere in the world with very few exceptions. And when it does not, neither do any other phones. T-Mobile does not. The frequencies the phones run on is the issue.

AT&T is designed as a world phone, even thought they are not always advertised as such. It is a GSM phone (Global Systems for Mobile Communications) which is the network standard it operates on that is world wide. As far as plans & coverage. I have always enjoyed excellent coverage in Europe and other parts of the world when the people I was traveling with had issues, my BlackBerry always worked and voice reception was strong and clear. As far as roaming charges here is a way around that. When she arrives at her destination she can buy a prepaid sim card. That's a little plastic card that inserts into the phone. It will come with one for the USA from AT&T when you get the phone. Easily removed, located under the battery, you simply remove that one, and insert the prepaid local card. Then you have a local number and do not pay roaming charges. She can even get a card that will call the US, without long distance charges. It's very reasonable and easy to do. I have several of these cards for places like Spain, Belgium , London, etc. You simply reload the card as you go. Example: When I'm at my office in London, I have a prepaid card I purchased at a shop there. I insert it into my Curve and I now have a local London number. This is the solution for you.

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    One thing to keep in mind if you like sprint (I use AT&T so this isn't a plug to keep sprint) is that if she is stationed overseas she can put her sprint contract on hold during that time with no payments and use whatever is best for where she is stationed, then return to sprint when she returns. I'm pretty sure all the carriers do that for military but I know sprint does because I have a friend who just did that.Just an FYI. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

grymtyrant@msn. no está en línea Stack level 3
    If you really want to use sprint check out the 8830 world edition. Its cdma and gsm for overseas only.

jeanne4kats no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30D4E203
    with Sprint you can add International calling for $4.00 a month but there is also a charge per minute and that can change for each country you are in but it was alot cheaper than direct dialing. Now, I may be wrong here but I think they also give a discount to service men/women so you will have to call to verify that but I heard somewhere that they will do that.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanne4kats View Post
    with Sprint you can add International calling for $4.00 a month but there is also a charge per minute and that can change for each country you are in but it was alot cheaper than direct dialing. Now, I may be wrong here but I think they also give a discount to service men/women so you will have to call to verify that but I heard somewhere that they will do that.
    Yes you can add an international calling plan, but she has to be in a place that has CDMA coverage without a world phone. Many if not most countries are GSM only, so an unlocked GSM phone would be ideal if we don't know where she'll end up.

grymtyrant@msn. no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    Yes you can add an international calling plan, but she has to be in a place that has CDMA coverage without a world phone. Many if not most countries are GSM only, so an unlocked GSM phone would be ideal if we don't know where she'll end up.
    The 8830 is a world edition phone. Therefor it has GSM. You can use it overseas. Not using CDMA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12