Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello all! My Daughter is in the Navy. She needs a phone of her own ... General Blackberry forum

citymotors no está en línea Stack level 2

Few Curve questions

Advertisement

Hello all!
    My Daughter is in the Navy. She needs a phone of her own for the first time. I have a Pearl and love it. She has been thinking about the Curve. I have a few questions about the phone and know you can help!

The carrier will be Sprint, I love the simply everything plan for her. She will use it a lot.

My only issue with my pearl (Alltel) is that I cannot watch videos via the Internet (i.e. YouTube). Will she be able to do this on the Curve? Also there are several sites I have trouble going to. Is the browser/Internet better now?

I was also considering the Palm 800 because it has Wifi. Is wifi really that important? I also like the idea of being able to create word docs on the palm. Is this something you can now do on the Curve?

Again I love Blackberry and hate to lead her in another direction.

Thanks in advance for you advise!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Flash video will not work on either of your devices, but streaming from sites like YouTube will work with an OS upgrade to 4.5. This would also bring the Documents To Go application from RIM to both your devices for creating and editing Word docs.

The latest 4.5 OS for the 8130 and 8330 (Curve) can be found in this thread and instructions for upgrading can be found here.

Hopefully you are familiar enough with your devices to perform these upgrades, but we're here to help you should any issues arise.

A couple of things to keep in mind before upgrading. Make sure you have a backup of your device beforehand (the upgrade process also backs up the device, but it doesn't hurt to have another one just in case). Remove the media card from the device if you have one, as this has been known to cause issues. Also, in a lot of cases, the Docs2Go application load isn't automatic, so once the OS loads on the screen in the Desktop Manager application, scroll down through the list of applications and make sure the box for that app is checked.

This will all make a lot more sense as you start the process, but please feel free to post back with any questions!

Good luck!

Roger

Thank you very much. I will try the upgrade on my pearl. I have done a few apps before. Hopefully the new os will be as easy. Do you know what os comes on the new curves?
    This site and people like you are one of the biggest reasons I want her to go with blackberry! Thanks again!

fin
    fin no está en línea Stack level 1
    On all of the new curves and pearls, the OS is still 4.2 or at best 4.3. You would still need to do the upgrade to 4.5 OS.

Fin

grymtyrant@msn. no está en línea Stack level 3
    Negative. My Sprint 8330 is os 4.3 the os that it came with. I am able to watch Youtube videos on my phone.

I am having a little difficulty guy. I tried loading the app and got an error message of "XML syntax error line 1". I am not sure my carrier was correct. The Vendor.exe doesn't look right. Can anyone tell me if Alltel has this update and if so where can I find it?
    Thanks

Carrier does not matter as long as the OS is specific to your device. The vendor.xml file needs to be deleted prior to the upgrade. Not sure what you mean when you say vendor.exe doesn't look right.

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Citymotors, you also said your daughter's in the Navy...will she be stationed in the US or be traveling around the world? (if around the world, you should get her an 8320 - either from T-Mobile (and get it unlocked) or try to order one directly off of the BlackBerry website.
    If she's on a ship, she'll probably be able to use wifi onboard. Additionally, the UMA calling T-Mobile supports (cellular over wifi) would allow her to save a lot of roaming costs when traveling abroad.
    Also, Sprint uses a CDMA network - only a handful of those around the world.

^^^ Good points. You're pretty limited with CDMA if you're cirumventing the globe on a ship.

Ridicule
    Thanks for the advise. We do not know where she will end up. She is in going to Mississippi and the who knows. I have had questions about overseas usage. Most employees at carriers are not helpful. I liked sprint because of the TV and the unlimited everything for 99 a month.do you know if t mobile has anything like that?

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3
    The 8330 curves released by Sprint and Verizon both support YouTube out of the box.
    As it has been pointed out - however - if you daughter is going to be deployed oversees then CDMA is probably not the right choice. Choosing a GSM carrier and the requesting an unlock code ASAP for use overseas is your best bet. There are competing views as to whom is better - AT&T or T-Mobile. In my opinion - unless 3G coverage is a concern - T-Mobile offers cheaper plans for the same service.
    As for using the ships WiFi - I don't know if that is really an option and/or whether or not it is provided. Remember, these are warships and operational security is paramount. I do not believe wifi is available onboard (although I could be wrong).
    Good luck and thank your daughter for serving and protecting this great nation.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks for your advise on that issue. I do have a few more questions about that. I will address them in a separate post later.
    For now. I can not find the vendor.xml file I am supposed to delete before install. Any suggestions on finding this?

OH! I finally found it!

Got it! Seems to be running great! Thanks guy!

Question Daughter serving in the U.S. Navy

Many of you helped me with this situation in another post. I still have a few questions.
    My daughter is serving in the Navy. She is now in A-school and from there we do not know. There is a strong possibility she will go overseas at some point. She has asked me to find her a plan and a phone. This will be the first phone bill she has been responsible for.
    I love Blackberry and the fact that pinstack and people like you make problems a breeze to work through!
    I was about to get her an 8330 through Sprint. The have a "simply everything" plan the has unlimited calls, data and TV for $99 per month.
    I was bought to my attention that at&t and T-Mobile can be used overseas whereas Sprint can not be. It was also suggested that we go with the 8320 due to the wifi on the phone. I like that I think.
    Many of the store employees do not know much about their product and service. I know you guys do! I do not want to get her in a horrible plan with bad service.

What are we giving up, other than Sprint TV, with going to another carrier?
    What makes at&t and T-mobile usable over seas and not Sprint?
    Is anyone familiar with T-Mobiles plans?
    What kind of roaming charges will she incur while overseas? I hate to see her get a $400 phone bill!
    Thanks again for you help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast