I think that RIM should start adding an external antenna port to GSM BlackBerries. I ... General Blackberry forum

absoluteevel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241C4261

Lightbulb External Antenna Port

Advertisement

I think that RIM should start adding an external antenna port to GSM BlackBerries. I don't have any experience with CDMA or iDEN devices, so I can't comment as to if those already have the port.

With people traveling to middle of no where places but still wanting to keep connected via their BlackBerry, an external antenna port would allow direct connection to a cell amplifier, allowing people to travel much greater distances off the beaten path and still utilize their email. I utilize a repeater right now, but it is no where near as efficient as a plug in model. :-)

Unfortunately I have not seen any GSM phones with this port, but all of the CDMA devices (non BlackBerry) when I was with Sprint and Virgin did have such a port.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I'm not sure if the market would accept it very well. People like their handsets slim and sleek. With improving technology, external anntennas should be a thing of the past, unfortunately, the carriers need to work on their networks in rurual areas as well.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

absoluteevel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241C4261
    Not an external antenna... a port for one. Many CDMA phones have a little rubber piece that you remove and it exposes a tiny piece of metal on the circuit board which connects to an adapter that hooks up to an antenna.

Since the port is nothing more than a little piece of metal smaller than a charging port, it doesn't add any thickness to the phone. *IF* someone wanted to use it, then yes, they would add the adapter which would add thickness to the phone.

Examples: