Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

From the London Times: **************** New iPhone 'free' on £45 contract, says O2 Apple's new ... General Blackberry forum

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Excuses, excuses? or, smartphone price/quality tradeoff

Advertisement

From the London Times:

New iPhone 'free' on £45 contract, says O2

Apple's new 3G iPhone will be "free" to customers who sign up to a minimum £45 per month contract
    Related Links

Which got me to thinking.

In the US we are 3rd-class citizens when it comes to smartphone
    service and features... arguably the Europeans being 2nd-class and the Japanese 1st class!

The standard retort by US providers is that they are being killed, poor
    dears, by the custom of having to subsidize devices, offering them to us
    for breadcrumbs to induce us monsters to sign on the dotted line.

Well -- it seems to me the above ad is exactly this sort of thing...going
    on in Europe!

So then, I ask European stackers and anybody else who knows: to your
    knowledge, is this kind of thing going on where you live? Is it the case that
    subsidies also happen outside the US?

If so, our dear US providers have some explaining to do

jeremyryerson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    oh no
    yeah the japanese get all the cool stuff im out of here next stop tokyo
    -J_P_R-

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    The question is, how much does it cost -- in Japan, in Europe... I'm trying
    to get actual information, not what is being nominally offered but what terms do people find acceptable, how much they are paying for what -- and compare with here.

seabirdone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20DE5001
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~No one I know in the UK has had to pay for there BBs or any other contract mobi for that matter. US seems to have a strange rebate system

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    I always look around on sites throughout Europe and the states. From what I have seen in Europe the subsidies are better than the states not to mention the fact that they get a much bigger selection of phones. The data and voice plans seem to be much better in the states however.

You should be happy... here in the mid east they dont get phones subsidized and there are no voice or data plans... except for blackberry data plans.... thats it.
    But I dont know if I would trade being able to buy any phone from any manufacturer over voice and data plans... actually yes I would because you can just buy the phones in other places and unlock them. I miss the old days of being back home and the 49.99 unlimited talk plan. Now I am lucky if my bills are under $300-400 per month.

Quite the pickle... you are stuck with crappy phones and old technology, however you have subsidized phones and great voice plans. Looks like the Europeans win. They are farther ahead technology wise, better selection of phones and decent plans.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 06-16-2008 at 10:28 AM.

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Could part of the problem be that phone manufacturers aren't as well known here in the US as they are in European and Asian countries? I think people would even know more about cell phones on a whole if there were more advertisement of the actual phone companies instead of presenting phones THROUGH carriers.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    You have the same phone manufacturers that everyone knows; Nokia, Sony/Eric, Samsung, HTC etc..... The problem is that because North America has always been behind in the mobile technology, and people are used to not paying much for phones that the phone carriers simply choose to bring mostly lower end phone models to the states. Which makes sense because for example Nokia has been making phones that are capable of Video calls, live mobile tv streaming and other 3g capabilities for 2 -3 years but you still cant use most of the features in the states TODAY!

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by seabirdone View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~No one I know in the UK has had to pay for there BBs or any other contract mobi for that matter. US seems to have a strange rebate system

Thank you!... I saw a similar statement in Slashdot,

http://mobile.slashdot.org/comments....9&cid=23818469

"In many other markets (Europe, Hong Kong to name the two that I am familiar with) it is also practice to heavily subsidise handsets. That is nothing new."

So then... what excuse do our US providers have?

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    I always look around on sites throughout Europe and the states. From what I have seen in Europe the subsidies are better than the states not to mention the fact that they get a much bigger selection of phones. The data and voice plans seem to be much better in the states however.

You should be happy... here in the mid east they dont get phones subsidized and there are no voice or data plans... except for blackberry data plans.... thats it.
    But I dont know if I would trade being able to buy any phone from any manufacturer over voice and data plans... actually yes I would because you can just buy the phones in other places and unlock them. I miss the old days of being back home and the 49.99 unlimited talk plan. Now I am lucky if my bills are under $300-400 per month.

Quite the pickle... you are stuck with crappy phones and old technology, however you have subsidized phones and great voice plans. Looks like the Europeans win. They are farther ahead technology wise, better selection of phones and decent plans.
    Yes, I think you are right.

And I certainly sympathize -- a $300-400 monthly bill does seem excessive!

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    @snipes_mcgee and @dubai_bb :

Nokia indeed seems to lack a sizeable presence in the US. Rumors say its embrace of WiFi displeases US carriers because it is less of a moneymaker for them. However, we are about to see 3G WiFi BBs...

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    If the price for the iphone's that low and the bb goes for $500 and no 4.5 release is out by that time i guess i'm gonna have to give into buying an iphone sigh

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    If the price for the iphone's that low and the bb goes for $500 and no 4.5 release is out by that time i guess i'm gonna have to give into buying an iphone sigh

If you call your provider's Retention Dpt and tell them as much, and if others do
    it too, especially people near the end of their contracts, demanding pricing roughly at the "rate" of $200 for the set of iPhone features, something might get done.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Quote Originally Posted by gkast1 View Post
    If you call your provider's Retention Dpt and tell them as much, and if others do
    it too, especially people near the end of their contracts, demanding pricing roughly at the "rate" of $200 for the set of iPhone features, something might get done.
    You have a vivid imagination, gkast1.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    You have a vivid imagination, gkast1.

I also have confidence in the often-observed fact that "money talks".

If it impacts the bottom line they will do something about it.

P.S. "Imagination is the only limit on what we can expect from the future"
    Last edited by gkast1; 06-20-2008 at 03:08 AM.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    I like your positive attitude and confidence in shaping the future. More people should have these attributes.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast