Silly question, but what, exactly, is a JAD file? Is it like a ZIP file ... General Blackberry forum

o1sowise no está en línea Stack level 3

Exactly what is a JAD?

Advertisement

Silly question, but what, exactly, is a JAD file?
    1. Is it like a ZIP file on Windows, where an installation package is compressed into for shipment?
    2. Is it needed after the initial install?
    3. If I download a JAD OTA, is it deleted after used?
    4. If not, maybe I should put it on my memory card instead and install from there?
    Sorry for the random thoughts, but it is a Friday afternoon (in NJ)...

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    It is not compressed that I am aware of, it is a Java based Application I got this off wikipedia, I hope it helps. It is not very informitive

JAD files are commonly used to package Java applications or games that can be downloaded to mobile phones. Java applications enable Mobile phones to interact programmatically with online web services, such as the ability to send SMS messages via GSM mobile internet or interact in multiplayer games.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

bigbinxter no está en línea Stack level 1
    If you want to get technical JAD files are descriptors for a midilet suite (basically a mobile java application).

You can install a midilet over the air by pointing your browser to a JAD file, and it'll extract and install the necessary java files to your phone. After that you won't need the JAD anymore. I'd equate a .jad more to a microsoft .msi than a compressed .zip.

If you want to learn more about JADs, JARs, and MIDIlets check check out Sun's mobile development section:

http://developers.sun.com/mobility/l...cle/#jadsnjars

All the best,
    Binx

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Very nice Now that is a good complete answer, I was still looking for a better one!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbinxter View Post
    If you want to get technical JAD files are descriptors for a midilet suite (basically a mobile java application).

You can install a midilet over the air by pointing your browser to a JAD file, and it'll extract and install the necessary java files to your phone. After that you won't need the JAD anymore. I'd equate a .jad more to a microsoft .msi than a compressed .zip.

If you want to learn more about JADs, JARs, and MIDIlets check check out Sun's mobile development section:

http://developers.sun.com/mobility/l...cle/#jadsnjars

All the best,
    Binx
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

bigbinxter no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile

Thanks, pda.teck. I've got to earn my PinStack stripes somehow!

That's what I thought, but this still confuses me.
    Why do I download a JAD OTA, but when I delete it I delete a COD?
    Where did the JAD go?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    To expand on the above posts, a Jad file is a a descriptor file that allows the BB Browser (in the Case of Blackberry devices) to find and install the cod files that are actually the installed modules that form the Application on the BB. It serves the same purpose for OTA installation as the ALX file does for the Desktop Manager Application Loader when installing from your PC. Depending on size jad files usually control multiple cod file installation to avoid the Size Limitations sometimes associated with Downloading files, whereas the Alx file for installing a single application, normally uses only one cod file.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks!!!

FF2
    FF2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Color me confused. I had purchased a program but the upgrade was NOT available from the vendor. The programmer offered me a link to a jad file. I downloaded it to my computer rather than OTA. It is merely a 1k file that has readable text inside it

Manifest-Version: 1.0
    RIM-COD-Module-Name: xxxxxxxxx
    RIM-COD-Module-Dependencies: net_rim_cldc,net_rim_bbapi_invoke,net_rim_bbapi_br owser
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 29714
    MIDlet-1: xxxxx,,
    RIM-COD-Creation-Time: 1212589778
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: xxxx.jar
    RIM-COD-URL: xxxx.cod
    RIM-COD-SHA1: 80 ca 6e 3e cc 69 8c f9 cc e2 a5 9c 2b d6 dd 5f 77 48 ea 66
    RIM-COD-Size: 14892
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
    MIDlet-Version: 1.4
    MIDlet-Name: xxxxxxx
    MIDlet-Description: xxxx
    MIDlet-Vendor: xxxx
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0
    RIM-MIDlet-Flags-1: 0

(changed stuff to xxxx)

It does not appear that it contains either the cod or alx file and so I would not use this JAD file to reinstall the application. I guess it is a "pointer" or link to the real installation files. I did ultimately go to the link with the BB Browser and it installed.

But I thought I had been led to believe that the JAD file could be used to install and application????

Thanks for info that clarifies or removes my confusion (or not)

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Color me confused. I had purchased a program but the upgrade was NOT available from the vendor. The programmer offered me a link to a jad file. I downloaded it to my computer rather than OTA. It is merely a 1k file that has readable text inside it

<SNIP>

It does not appear that it contains either the cod or alx file and so I would not use this JAD file to reinstall the application. I guess it is a "pointer" or link to the real installation files. I did ultimately go to the link with the BB Browser and it installed.

But I thought I had been led to believe that the JAD file could be used to install and application????

Thanks for info that clarifies or removes my confusion (or not)
    It is used to install the Application. It will install the application directly from the Website when the BB Browser is used to download the JAD file directly. The Cod files associated with the JAD file must be located in the same location as the JAD file to install it.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles