i've been reading up on all things related to blackberry encryption and safety. so i've ... General Blackberry forum

thunderduck no está en línea Stack level 1

encryption and safety

Advertisement

i've been reading up on all things related to blackberry encryption and safety. so i've come to the conclusion that pin'n goes from machine to machine, with no encryption. emailing goes through a server with encryption. there's also the other thing called "pgp" which is suppose to be even more encryption and safety.
    so my question is this, if i were to erase my pin msg's daily and since it doesn't go through a server, does that mean it is very safe as long as the msg's are deleted daily and without physically looking at the machine the msg's would not be able to be read?
    tks in advance for the replies!!

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    How do you send a pin message?

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Also I don't know if it would make it safer that way...

Quote Originally Posted by dallas1125 View Post
    Also I don't know if it would make it safer that way...

pin (personal identification number) every bb machine has its own individual one. so all you would need to do is get the recipients pin number and u compose pin and just text it over, as far as i know.

PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Ok thanx

does anyone know my original question? anyone?

emtcowboy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3156B625
    If you are on a bes then a copy of your pins
    Will still be available to the system admin. Also if you're on a bes, your messages are encrypted to and from THAT server and YOUR blackberry, although again, the system admin will still have access to your messages but ONLY on the bes they're responsible for. RIM and your cell provider can copy your pin messages and emails and provide them to law enforcement under court order when you're using bis since ALL traffic is routed through their servers in that instance. With thinhs like the US Patriot Act and court orders, always assume that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE will be able to read your messages as NOTHING, including encrypting with pgp is 100% secure (although it does make it more difficult).

Quote Originally Posted by emtcowboy View Post
    If you are on a bes then a copy of your pins
    Will still be available to the system admin. Also if you're on a bes, your messages are encrypted to and from THAT server and YOUR blackberry, although again, the system admin will still have access to your messages but ONLY on the bes they're responsible for. RIM and your cell provider can copy your pin messages and emails and provide them to law enforcement under court order when you're using bis since ALL traffic is routed through their servers in that instance. With thinhs like the US Patriot Act and court orders, always assume that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE will be able to read your messages as NOTHING, including encrypting with pgp is 100% secure (although it does make it more difficult).
    so your saying with pining, sms, emailing, and emailing with pgp, pgp would be the best bet?
    how would you rate those in order of safety?

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    *Raises an eyebrow*

I don't mind to pry, but why the need for so much security?

I find it hard to believe that a member of the general public needs so much security for inter-device communication, unless you're doing something you're not supposed to...

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

no no just having debates with my friends about it.....LOL

PIN/ID
    3156B625
    Encrypting emails with pgp and then sending them would give you the best security from casual email snoops over all. That's not to say that you're still totally safe as copies of your emails are kept for a time in the spools of every server they pass through on the net. Depending on your key size, encryption algorithm and passwordn it is still relatively easy, with powerful enough hardware (ie CIA, FBI, NSA), to brute force the decryption of your messages.

PIN/ID
    3156B625
    Sorry, hit the wrong button. In order of security, I'd say pgp, pin, sms and email, but again, nothing is totally secure if its transmitted electronically.

tks for the reply.....
    i actually put it the order of pgp, email, pin, sms.......

but then again its so true what you say, if they (anyone) really really want it i'm sure there's a way.....LOL