Hey everyone, So I just got my new Blackberry 8830 from Verizon and I love ... General Blackberry forum

KingsDude no está en línea Stack level 1

Email Questions....

Advertisement

Hey everyone,

So I just got my new Blackberry 8830 from Verizon and I love it!! Now that I have my e-mail's set up, I'm not too happy since it's not instant!! I have the blackberry address that came with the phone and that is "push".

I know I can have both my e-mails forwarded to the blackberry push, which will work fine. However, then I have to reply with the blackberry address, and I don't want to do that (unless I click "send using" everytime). Also, I don't want to get duplicate e-mails from my other accounts on the blackberry. Does anyone get what I'm saying?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!!

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Email Questions....

What you're saying is that if you set up an email account via BIS, you receive it anywhere between instantly and 15 minutes.

While it's known that BIS accounts are POLLED every 15 minutes, I have one Gmail account that is nearly always instantaneous. I have two other Gmail accounts, but haven't been able to determine what if any delay they have. The reason I know that the emails for this particular account are NOT being delayed is because the emails are messages with Caller ID info including the Call Time, and typically the time the email arrives on my BlackBerry is within one minute.

If getting email is really that critical to your livelihood, perhaps you should look into getting a Hosted BES account.
    JerryD

jestar15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    400DD044

Unfortunately, integrating an email account within the BIS it will only 'pop' those accounts every 15 minutes, there's no way to increase that. As for the duplicate emails, if you mean that the BB is retrieving the same emails over and over, I would check the options in the affected account to make sure that a copy of the email is not being left on the server.

Kind of.. What I'm trying to say is that I have two email account set up on the blackberry, one that is POP and one that is IMAP.

Both are polled about every 15 minutes.

If I have them forwarded to my bb address (@vzw.blackberry.net), it comes instantaneously.

So if I forward all the accounts to the bb addres, I get them that second. But how can I reply to those messages using my original POP and IMAP accounts? Also, how would I set it up so if there is fowarding, I will not receive those messages on my POP and IMAP accounts on the bb again?

Thanks!!!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

You can't have it both ways. BIS is like most Pop email Clients that have to poll the server, except that you can't set the polling period. The only one that acts like an email client connected to an Exchange server is the @mycarrier.blackberry.net account.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

First, a word of warning about your blackberry.net account. If that email address starts getting spammed, the only way to stem the tide is to set up "Forward" filters and not forward any other emails. If you don't actually use that email address, it's not to much of a problem, but should you start to receive real email on it, it becomes a significant issue.

That said, there is a program called BBReply - OTA Install here. It was created before BIS allowed multiple email addresses. There's little (if any!) documentation available (can't find any now!), but it may be worth a shot.

I missed the part about duplicate sent emails. This is normal and easily fixed by filtering either on the BIS email setup, or by moving incoming emails FROM that email address to a folder other than the INbox at the email's server.
    JerryD

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

Also, the only other way to choose which email account to use is by adding your other two accounts back to BIS instead of forwarding them.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by XLiMBS
    Also, the only other way to choose which email account to use is by adding your other two accounts back to BIS instead of forwarding them.

Unless he can get BBReply to work!
    JerryD

Hmm.. I coudln't figure out what bbrepy was trying to get me to do.. it made no sense.. I added my e-mail, but that was the end of it.. lol.. Guess I'll be stuck with pull email

:-(

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

The way the push service works with most POP3 and IMAP accounts as explained by BB in training:

The BB server goes and checks the email server to see if there is any waiting email every 15 minutes.
    If it finds email, then it pulls the email and pushes it to the blackberry device. It then resets the timer to a lower number (I can't remember the numbers exactly but we will go with 1/2 for this example). The next time it polls the server (7 minutes later) it finds another email. Timer gets cut in 1/2 again. Next time it polls (4 minutes later (I know, it is actually 3.5)) no email, timer changes back to 7....etc...
    Theoretically (all the above is for non-bb server setup POP3 and IMAP accounts) the more email you get the faster it comes in. Now for Yahoo or Gmail (where they have true BB servers in their mail system) the rules are different but I haven't been able to find anyone to explain it to me yet.

The email is still push (pull implies that the device polls the servers and pulls the email in) email but since there is only the carrier's BB server involved and not the email provider's BB server involved the server has to be polled on a regular basis to verify if there is email waiting.

Zo

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B

Amigotek thanks for the explanation of how polling works. That methods works great for me. I can't imagine an e-mail that can't wait 10 to 15 min for me to get. If its that urgent a phone call may be a better method.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

If you want instant delivery here are your choices:

- Forward to your *.blackberry.net address.
    - Use gmail or Yahoo integrated with BIS.
    - Use BES.

Each has its associated pros and cons.