I seem to be going round in circles trying set up a domain name email ... General Blackberry forum

Marillionnut no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Email Help & Google Apps

Advertisement

I seem to be going round in circles trying set up a domain name email to work my O2 BB8310, can anyone here shed some light on where I am going wrong please? I have explored a couple of ways of getting the email working (including paying for hosted BES) and Google Apps appeared to be the best choices the current set up. However I have stumbled at the last hurdle in getting the email to sync over the air. This is my current set up:
    • Domain name email registered with Google Apps and working fine, including sync with Outlook 2007 (set to IMAP)
    • Calendar and Contact syncing with Outlook 2007 and Blackberry using the appropriate Google sync application
    What I perceive to be the problem is that I have been unable to register the domain email address with the O2 BIS; O2 support informed me that this only works with Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail etc,. So according to them, this will never work unless I take out a business package with them (HOW much!!!?).

Reading the info on this forum, it appears the loads of you have done this; my question is how (and open to recommendations to solutions other than Google Apps).

Many thanks.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    If I am understanding you, you want to access your Google Apps powered mail on your BlackBerry?

If so, there are two ways.

1) is to download the Google Gmail mobile app (a mouthful lol). Once installed, run it, go to add account, and just type in the full email address and password that you want to use. You can connect as many accounts as you want.

2) right on your BlackBerry, go to the Email Setup Wizard. Following those instructions you can simply add your Google Apps powered email account there. To get full GMail functionality, you might need to download the gmail plugin. You can do that on your BlackBerry via blackberry.com/gmail.

In either method, connecting your email address may not work if you don't have the proper settings in your account. Log into your Google Apps powered account via a computer, go to Settings->Forwarding and POP/IMAP, and make sure both POP and IMAP are enabled. That will allow the BlackBerry to retrieve your mail.

If I interpreted your post wrong, then I talk wayyy to much haha.

Many thanks for the relply.

It looks like the only piece I am missing is the gmail plugin (which I take is different to the G_Apps sync tool?). Does this mean that the domain email is treated as if it as Gmail?

I will try this when i get home and let you know how I got on.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    It most cases, a Google Apps email address will be treated as a Gmail address. ALl the Gmail plugin does it as GMail features such as labels, archiving, stars, etc to the native BlackBerry email client.

Hurrah, it's all working; now have full email, calender and contact over the air syncing via Google Apps.

It looks like the error was on my part. I hade been trying to set up the email on O2's BIS page before I had activated the email within Google Apps . Since I did that on the weekend and went back to O2 BIS, it recognised the domain email address and hey presto all working.

Many thanks for the replies.