Don't know if this is a 4.2 (Optus) on 8700 thing, but I've just noticed ... General Blackberry forum

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

Eeek! RIM changed their email headers?

Advertisement

Don't know if this is a 4.2 (Optus) on 8700 thing, but I've just noticed that emails I send on my BB are now exposing my BB's BIS address to my receipients.

I'm on T-Mobile in the UK. What seems to have changed is that the address I put in the BIS as my "Reply to" address now actually only affects that header. Before it used my selected address to populate the "From" header too.

This is BAD news

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Eeek! RIM changed their email headers?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Most likely your BIS has been upgraded. You can choose the send from address now to show any address you want.

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Most likely your BIS has been upgraded. You can choose the send from address now to show any address you want.
    That seems to be exactly what I can't do now. Using the BIS address, I can create a "Reply to" address only. Not a 'From'. :-(

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

I would try logging into your BIS account and seeing if there is an option there to fix it.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

That sounds more like the older version of BIS...

Gib
    Gib no está en línea Stack level 1

Same problem. The changeover seemed to happen on Friday night/Saturday morning (27/28 April).

All emails sent from my blackberry used to be "from" my isp's address, because that's what I set it up to be.

Now, all me emails are "from" my @mobileemail.vodafone.net address, and my "reply-to" is the isp address I set up.

This sucks!! I don't want anyone seeing my real blackberry address. I want them all using my isp address, so I can download all the mail onto my computer as well, and also importantly, so I can pass all my email through spamcop before getting to my device.

I've got an 8100, and am running some recent version of BIS, on vodafone UK.

Is this a change in policy of RIM ? How do I reverse it ? I'm scared to use my blackberry right now to email anyone... I don't want them having my address, and a few already do.... My girlfriend in Japan uses a japanese mobile which does email, and when she replies, it goes to my vodafone address, her phone mustn't respect the reply-to address....

Gib

Someone suggested seeing if there's an option in the settings.
    Well, logging onto the mobileemail.vodafone.net server, and editing the settings for my only account, I have the following :

Email account name : gib
    Reply-to: gib@myisp.com
    Your Name: John Citizen
    Signature:
    Auto BCC: gib_bcc@myisp.com
    Auto forward:

I've obviously changed my names/email address to protect the innocent... I don't remember if this is what it looked like last week, when it was all working fine. I suspect that the "reply-to" field used to be called "from" or something, but I'm not certain....

Can anyone who is using BIS, and who can email with a "from" address other than their blackberry one, please check these options above and see if yours are different ?

Cheers.

SureType no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Gib
    Someone suggested seeing if there's an option in the settings.
    Well, logging onto the mobileemail.vodafone.net server, and editing the settings for my only account, I have the following :

Email account name : gib
    Reply-to: gib@myisp.com
    Your Name: John Citizen
    Signature:
    Auto BCC: gib_bcc@myisp.com
    Auto forward:

I've obviously changed my names/email address to protect the innocent... I don't remember if this is what it looked like last week, when it was all working fine. I suspect that the "reply-to" field used to be called "from" or something, but I'm not certain....

Can anyone who is using BIS, and who can email with a "from" address other than their blackberry one, please check these options above and see if yours are different ?

Cheers.
    Here are my options from Cingular BIS 2.0

E-mail Account:
    Your Name:
    E-mail:
    Reply To:
    Auto BCC:
    Signature:

Gib

Thanks SureType, that missing "Email:" field on my options looks to be the culprite. I think that's the field that's gone missing on mine.

I think what might have happened is that I was automatically upgraded to the new BIS. I rang vodafone, and they had a look, don't know about any BIS changes that would cause my problem, and the techs suggested that I needed to add my account name to the "add an account" part, then I'll be able to send as that...
    I asked them which BIS I was on, and they said 2.3. I think I might not have been on that before, but I'm not sure.

I tried as they suggested, to add my account to the "set up account" button, and it seems to work, but I can't find a way of setting it up as a "from" address without it also downloading mail from that account. I don't want it set as a POP account which blackberry checks for me, because I've already forwarded mail from that account to my blackberry, through spamcop.
    I've tried setting it up, but putting dud info for my password and server name, but it's too bloody smart, and tells me that I've entered wrong info.
    How do I do it? Perhaps I have to try changing my account password at my isp, configuring the blackberry account with the temporary password, then changing my isp password back, so now the blackberry server won't be able to download mail.... The server might piss me off complaining about that though...

Gib

OK, from a search I've found that on 30th April, Vodafone (and probably t mobile) swapped everyone to BIS2.3, and there are problems.

To search for the thread, go to blackberryforums dot com, and search for the following quote by user "stern", in the thread "New BIS 2.3"

Voda UK have upgraded. Some customers are reporting that all of their old e-mails have been re-downloaded to their Blackberry.

Also everyones reply to address has been reset to the BIS address (mobileemail.vodafone.net) for ALL accounts.
    I can't believe vodafone customer support. They are absolutely *&^%$ useless. I asked specifically if they'd changed anything, if the BIS had been altered, what version I was on now. He said he checked with the blackberry technical guys. Nobody he talked to had any clue that their whole blackberry BIS had just been upgraded. What a mob of complete and utter clueless, incommunicative wankers. How is it possible ????