I tried to google this, but couldnt find the answer i was looking for. Do ... General Blackberry forum

titanjhb no está en línea Stack level 1

EDGE/3G to WiFi handover

Advertisement

I tried to google this, but couldnt find the answer i was looking for. Do WiFi enabled blackberries support automatic handover of data services when mograting between WiFi and cellular networks? We are considering a siemens sollution that apparently has a blackberry client, but Siemens claims that the data to the client has to go via a BES over the cellular network and we can turn of the Wifi on the units as they cant use it because automatic handover isnt supported.

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    My tmo 8320 has what is called inter-access handover which switches over automatically from wifi to EDGE both on data transmissions and phone calls. It is found under the options, wifi networks, click on your network, click edit, and you will see this option.

Also, click on mobile network connections and ensure the connection is set to wifi preferred and your carrier connection is set to automatic. You will then have an almost seamless transfer. My phone sometimes will drop a call because the transfer does take place quick enough as I move out of wifi range.

Be advised I am on BIS so not sure if that makes a difference.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    Last edited by Mortgage_Man; 04-19-2009 at 02:04 AM.

BLUSLS no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Ok, so I have BES and a wifi network. My 8320 switches just fine.

Also, on your main issue I would get an understanding of UMA first. Basically when the phone is on a wifi network it has a vpn connection to the carrier which is why you are still able to get a phone call and data on your phone.

Either way if the Seimens equipment can't "work" on the same network then create a new wireless network for your blackberry's.

I do think the phones should still be fine working on the same netowrk unless the new device uses a similar port.

Just my 2 cents.

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Maybe handover isn't supported because SIEMENS hasn't built that into their app? Just because the device can do it with some apps (like "Phone" for example) doesn't mean it automatically does it for all apps. You should find out from both them and RIM if this is a RIM limitation or SIEMENS hasn't code it to support.

titanjhb no está en línea Stack level 1
    thanks for all the responces!

UMA isnt supported in South Africa.

From what I can tell Siemens is saying that its a blackberry issue, that the hardware doesnt support seemless handover. What their application does is create a SIP or some proprieteary voice communication with their phone system when in WiFi coverage, and does some fancy footwork when moving out side coverage to keep the voice communication alive.

If someone else can do seemless handovers with their various applications then I can go back to siemens and tell them their developers arent doing a good job.