Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/99655 Interesting...... General Blackberry forum

SiNJiN no está en línea Stack level 2

Early Termination Fees Illegal????

Advertisement

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Interesting ruling. This could set a landmark issue for all providers. Could be good or bad: If more states rule this way, customers will have freedom in changing companies, but on the other hand it could drive device cost up. Thx for the post.

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    very very interesting. There is a good point about the carriers being nationwide, so why not have a nationwide rule vs 50 seperate ones, (which can get confusing expecially for people that actually move out of state like I did). Carriers really need the fees or they are going to drive the cost of the phones up the pole and for us CDMA users we are kinda stuck, we cant unlock a phone and use it on another carrier. I do think they should lower the fees the closer you get to your contract end date, that makes great sense to me.

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09
    i agree, the companies will probably give a special deal to lure customers away then bump up the pricing. who knows

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    I think they should only charge u a small fee the close u are to the end date like stated above....now if they didn't charge a fee at all then they would raise rates and device price's im sure to re coup the cost, maybe u would find better customer service this way too.....lol

dave_sz no está en línea Stack level 1
    This is seriously bogus. When you signed a contract with your provider it cleqarly said if you try to get out early, you'll have to pay. The judges ruling was bogus...~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    yes but they say its unfair that they charge u the same amount for amonth as they do for 2 years....

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Many cellular providers are starting to prorate the early termination fee. However, they are only doing it for NEW subscribers; current subscribers get screwed: see AT&T.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by mserica513 View Post
    very very interesting. There is a good point about the carriers being nationwide, so why not have a nationwide rule vs 50 seperate ones, (which can get confusing expecially for people that actually move out of state like I did). Carriers really need the fees or they are going to drive the cost of the phones up the pole and for us CDMA users we are kinda stuck, we cant unlock a phone and use it on another carrier. I do think they should lower the fees the closer you get to your contract end date, that makes great sense to me.

You actually can "unlock" CDMA devices now. Sprint, Alltell, MetroPcs, Verizon, and Cricket are now allowing you to use approved devices on their networks. In the case of Metro and Cricket (other than data devices) as I understand it, approved means any device that they can reflash with their software and it hold. For Sprint, AllTell, and Verizon, any device that is useable on the three, that is released by the previous carrier, and then inserted into their database. Supposedly they are working on a set of standards for Open Use (can't remember what they called it). Eventually you will be able to use any CDMA device that meets the standards they release and passes testing.

Now just because you can do it, doesn't mean they make it easy to do. I know for Verizon there is a special department you have to talk to that handles Alltell and Sprint devices on their network. They will not provide after the activation support for the device either.

Zo

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    I know digital cable companies do the same thing. Like shaw in Canada allows you to use a non-shaw digital cable box but you have to go through a "special dept" and jump through a couple hoops to bring it onto the network. Although they may change the way they do things AmigoTek is correct in saving they won't make it easy to do.

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    You actually can "unlock" CDMA devices now. Sprint, Alltell, MetroPcs, Verizon, and Cricket are now allowing you to use approved devices on their networks. In the case of Metro and Cricket (other than data devices) as I understand it, approved means any device that they can reflash with their software and it hold. For Sprint, AllTell, and Verizon, any device that is useable on the three, that is released by the previous carrier, and then inserted into their database. Supposedly they are working on a set of standards for Open Use (can't remember what they called it). Eventually you will be able to use any CDMA device that meets the standards they release and passes testing.

Now just because you can do it, doesn't mean they make it easy to do. I know for Verizon there is a special department you have to talk to that handles Alltell and Sprint devices on their network. They will not provide after the activation support for the device either.

Zo

is this also referred to as "flashing" a device? If so I had heard it could be done but you have to be very good to do it. Sounds like more trouble than what its worth, unless they actually do go away with the EFT's and we end up having to pay full price for berries and such.. That means either stay with who you are with and keep what cha got or get to flashing!

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Yes, it is flashing the unit. I have heard of more than one device that has been "bricked" by cricket and metro but there is no recourse since the customer signs a waiver before they even start. Also it does void your warranty. I don't think Verizon and Sprint actually have to flash it but may send an OTA update to the device to get it working correctly for calling.

Zo

thagame911 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm kinda slow lol. So does this mean people in California can use this in defense when they cancel their contract early to not pay the fee ?

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Best scam ever, cmon guys load up and resell the devices for half the retail and your good to go! I phones and berries have high price point, buy a lot of them!

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneKam View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Best scam ever, cmon guys load up and resell the devices for half the retail and your good to go! I phones and berries have high price point, buy a lot of them!
    Well the phones are only advertised at these absurdly high prices in order to entice people to sign the contract, rather than buy outright. If the contracts go away, and people are required to pay full retail price, supply and demand kicks in and the prices on the phones will lower. Beautiful aint it?

Regardless, phone providers are most likely bloating the advertised prices of the phones anyway to convince you your best option is to just sign the dotted line. With the newfound levels of competition that will be introduced once users have the choice of going with the BEST cell phone service at any given moment, phones will become a highly competitive target.

This decision really works out for the consumer. We get quality cell service. Affordable phones. And carrier's who now have to compete harder with each other offering better services, coverage, speeds, and so on to win our money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast