I was busy spring cleaning my PC via the good offices of "Add and Remove ... General Blackberry forum

jackeyres no está en línea Stack level 1

Duplicate Blackberry Software on my PC

Advertisement

I was busy spring cleaning my PC via the good offices of "Add and Remove Programs" when I came across 7 items of Blackberry software. I only have one phone, an 8900, with an 8310 as a spare. Is there any way I can remove any of the following, without compromising my BB desktop software performance:

Blackberry Desktop Software 4.2.2
    Blakcberry Desktop Software 4.6
    Blackberry Desktop Software 4.6.1 for Blackberry 8900
    Blackberry Desktop Software 4.6.1 for Blackberry 8900 (yes twice)
    Blackberry Media Sync
    Blackberry v4.2.2 for the Blackberry 8310 Series Wireless Handheld
    Blackberry v4.2.2 for the Blackberry 8310 Series Wireless Handheld (two of them)

Any advice gratefully received!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Not sure why you have multiple copies of any of it.

You should be able to remove the Desktop Software 4.4.2 safely if you're using 4.6. I would guess you could remove all of the other duplicates too.

I double checked my p-c listings - I have 1 Desktop Software 4.6 installed and Device Software for 8100, 8320, 8330 and 8900 installed and I only have one copy of each. (I'm Win XP if that makes a difference.)

The worst that could happen is that if you remove one copy it takes both for some reason and you'd have to start over and reinstall.

Also that 4.2 device software is fairly old - you might consider upgrading to a newer one.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?

y

Remove them all except for one 4.2.2 for 8310 and one 4.6.1. I'm not sure what the media sync is so I would leave it till you find out if you use it or not.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    Last edited by catstide; 06-07-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Media Sync is an application that Syncs your iTunes/Windows Media Player music files with your BlackBerry.

I didn't know whether he used it or not either so I didn't mention it.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    cool. I was slow and didn't see your first post or I wouldn't have posted at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Media Sync is an application that Syncs your iTunes/Windows Media Player music files with your BlackBerry.

I didn't know whether he used it or not either so I didn't mention it.

Thanks both.

I'll go ahead an uninstall the unnecessary stuff. I seem to remember doing that a while ago and having to re-load the software I needed. I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    cool. I was slow and didn't see your first post or I wouldn't have posted at all.
    NP, Cat. Now you know what Media Sync is - I have it but haven't tried it - not much need since most of my listening is radio streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by jackeyres View Post
    Thanks both.

I'll go ahead an uninstall the unnecessary stuff. I seem to remember doing that a while ago and having to re-load the software I needed. I'll report back.
    Jack, Be aware that, if you have to uninstall/reinstall your Desktop Manager, I think it wipes out your device software too so you'll have to start all over. That might be a good opportunity to upgrade if you like. You can check the latest OS for your device here.

Thanks very much. I got a few "only applies to software installed on this computer"
    and when I clicked on 4.6 it started a long install. So I'll download the latest software from the site you suggest. Confused by the other programs refusing to uninstall, saying they're not installed and yet taking up 80mb each of space on my PC.

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    I would uninstall ALL of them, run a registry cleaner such as CCleaner, and then install only ONE copy of Desktop Manager. The 4.6 DM will work with both of your phones, you do not need an old DM just for your old BB.

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)

Thanks for your help. I followed your instructions and then installed the latest software (4.7). Everything running well now.

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    Thanks for your help. I followed your instructions and then installed the latest software (4.7). Everything running well now.
    Sweet!
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)