For more years than I care to reveal, I've always set up modems I work ... General Blackberry forum

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

DTMF Tone Duration - Seeking REAL BlackBerry Hacker!

Advertisement

For more years than I care to reveal, I've always set up modems I work with to use short DTMF tones. I haven't used a modem extensively for several years, but if I remember correctly I would use the command ATS11=50 to set the duration of the DTMF tones to 50 milliseconds which would make the modem dial incredibly fast (not sure what the default is - maybe something like 250).

Anyway, my wife got a new 8300 recently, and it dials numbers incredibly fast - much like my modem would do when I set a short DTMF length.

So the question is, are there any real BlackBerry hackers out there that know how to set the DTMF duration on a BlackBerry - an 8800 in particular!
    JerryD

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Re: DTMF Tone Duration - Seeking REAL BlackBerry Hacker!

Is there an issue with dialing the numbers fast? I know it makes some fast tones when you use a speed dial, but it makes the exact tones no matter what number you speed dial. Not sure if there is a way to make the tones longer, but I don't see the relationship of actual dialing compared to the speed dial tones.
    Otherwise, you don't really hear it dialing except when you are physically dialing the number, but the cal doesn't actually take place until you hit send.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

The shorter the duration of the DTMF tone, the faster the speed dial dials. When I use a speed dial, it takes a couple of seconds for the number to dial, but my wife's Curve takes less than a second. If the default DTMF tone duration is 250, and you cut it back to 50, an 11 digit phone number will take 550 milliseconds (just over 1/2 a second) to dial rather than 2750 milliseconds (2 3/4 seconds).

To be sure, this is an OCD issue and not critical by any stretch of the imagination. However, I love the machine gun sound of a short DTMF tone duration, and would love to set my BlackBerry to really SPEED Dial! Maybe if you heard it you'd understand!
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    312C4157

I guess I would have to hear/see it. When I speed dial, my phone plays like 8 on 9 tones regardless of the number its dialing then connects. Then I don't hear anything until the phone connects and I hear the ringing sound. You want the call to connect quicker after the speed dial takes place? It's hard to tell how long the DTMF tones are because you really never hear the phone actually dialing. I suppose its the same speed it does for smart dialing where it dials a number then waits and then dials an extention. I don't know if the OS can be hacked, the different modules seem to be pretty locked down, although a program may be written to change the speed. Something to look into...

PIN/ID
    312C4157

Just to add, there has only been one case that I know of where a module has actually been hacked/changed to alter functionality. It was done to allow media to be played over bluetooth. The thread is stickied in the 8300 forum, you can find the post about streaming media and the personb who did it there. If we can see how they did it that would open up quite a few possibilities for hacking/changing the OS.