Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want spoken driving directions to be output from my Blackberry 8830's 2.5mm output jack ... General Blackberry forum

nfrost no está en línea Stack level 1

Driving Directions Spoken Through 2.5mm/3.5mm/Bluetooth audio output?

Advertisement

I want spoken driving directions to be output from my Blackberry 8830's 2.5mm output jack (or Bluetooth audio output). Both Sprint Navigation and Infospace Find It! insist on using the speakerphone.

Is there any software/cellphone pairing that can speak driving directions through a car stereo? (Perhaps via a 2.5mm or 3.5mm output, Bluetooth, anything *but* the cellphone's onboard speaker?)

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Telenav can output through my Bluetooth headset
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Can you tell me exactly how you set TeleNav to output spoken driving directions through your Bluetooth headset?

(I thought Sprint Navigation *was* TeleNav, only rebranded. Am I mistaken?)

Thanks very much,

Nathan

I'm not able to download an application called "TeleNav" -- because I have "Sprint Navigation", TeleNav's website claims I already have an active account, and won't redirect me to a download.

I came across telenav5.jad, but my Blackberry Desktop Manager's Application Loader won't recognize the file.

I just got off the phone with TeleNav's tech support; the lady I spoke with explicitly claimed that TeleNav would not speak driving directions through anything other than the cell phone's speakerphone; Bluetooth headset audio output, she told me, was definitely not supported.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well in my prior version (Telenav) all I had to do was press the button on my Bluetooth headset to get it to go through the headset. Now that it has been rebranded as ATT navigator (which I downloaded from telenav site), I have to press the #8 key on my 8120 and the voice switches to my headset. I figured that out just by pressing buttons while navigating in my driveway :-) So it may not be "supported" but it is definitely possible. I can only guess that Sprint navigation is the same thing as ATT navigator since they are both coming from telenav. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

On my 8830, pressing the $/Volume_Symbol button while the Sprint Navigation app is speaking driving directions brings up a dialog that says "To play audio through a Bluetooth headset, please ensure the headset is paired with the device and is powered on."

However -- assuming I can really get Sprint Navigation to speak through a Bluetooth-receiver enabled stereo -- do I really want to risk reconfiguring my car sound system around navigation software that only does what I want as an entirely undocumented (and unknown to all, save gritsinct) feature?

It seems like Sprint or Telnav could simply force an update that removes the feature, and I'd be SOL.

Do you think I can rely on Sprint Navigation's Bluetooth audio output for years to come?

Looks like a coin toss...

I spoke with one of TelNav's second tier technical support staff (after being transferred by the first tier person and staying on hold for 50 minutes), and she stated that Bluetooth audio output for TelNav's software sometimes has some delay issues that cause parts of the spoken directions to be clipped off, and for this reason TelNav does not advertise the feature.

She also said she wasn't sure whether the feature was likely to be improved or dropped in the future.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Good question! I'd say the answer is no! If the company is claiming that it isn't capable of doing this, then you can't depend on it being around forever. Then again, there isn't much you can count on "for years to come"! Especially in the world of technology! The good news is that it will almost certainly be replaced by something better.

On top of that, you aren't signing a contract with telenav so you use it as long as it works and if and when it stops, you move on. If you find something else that works, please let us know because this is not the holy grail of GPS apps IMHO- just the best I've found so far.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by gritsinct; 04-28-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling correction :)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I guess we were writing at the same time. I'm glad you got some answers from telenav.

Why the need to play it through your stereo? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874
    i would also like that feature too cause sometimes you cant hear clearly from the phones speaker

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    That is why I was so interested in finding out how to get it through my bluetooth headset - it just seems like I can hear and concentrate better with it in my ear. Now if I could just find an app that lets me do that AND download/store the maps on my BB I'd be thrilled. :-) ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by gritsinct; 04-28-2008 at 01:00 AM.

Looks like the tech's just not there yet...

I tested this solution out; turns out TelNav's tech support was right -- sometimes the first half second or so of a driving direction was cut off, leading to gaffes such as "6 miles to Maple Street", when Sprint Navigator meant to say "Point 6 miles to Maple Street".

Other apps seem no better; I received this from MapQuest Navigator's email tech support:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear customer,

Unfortunately, at this time the feature that you mentioned is not available.
    By default, all sounds of the application will be played through the device speakers and not any kind of external audio connection (BT headset, or 2.5mm output).

We are working on enabling this feature on our future releases.

Thank you for your interest in MapQuest Navigator - we look forward to driving with you!

Dror C
    Customer support

It's too late, unfortunately -- I need a solution immediately, and it won't involve my cell phone.
    [/FONT]

Looks like the tech's just not there yet...

I tested this solution out; turns out TelNav's tech support was right -- sometimes the first half second or so of a driving direction was cut off, leading to gaffes such as "6 miles to Maple Street", when Sprint Navigator meant to say "Point 6 miles to Maple Street".

Other apps seem no better; I received this from MapQuest Navigator's email tech support:

Dear customer,

Unfortunately, at this time the feature that you mentioned is not available.
    By default, all sounds of the application will be played through the device speakers and not any kind of external audio connection (BT headset, or 2.5mm output).

We are working on enabling this feature on our future releases.

Thank you for your interest in MapQuest Navigator - we look forward to driving with you!

Dror C
    Customer support

It's too late, unfortunately -- I need a solution immediately, and it won't involve my cell phone.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    That's too bad I actually haven't had any problem with missing anything crucial. I do notice when I first switch over that I miss a couple of words, but the app always gives several warnings before a turn (ie turn left in .6 miles, turn left in .4 miles, etc) that I have never missed a turn or anything because of it - so it's working fine for me. Good luck in your search!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast