I've got a 8100, however I don't have the blackberry service enabled from my mobile ... General Blackberry forum

wboote no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Download files without using 'Browser'

Advertisement

I've got a 8100, however I don't have the blackberry service enabled from my mobile provider (too expensive). I've just been using gprs for things like Opera Mini and jmIrc - which work fine.

The problem I have is that I can't install jars / jads over the internet as Opera Mini passes the url to 'Browser' which spits the dummy because it can't estabish a network connection.

Does anyone know of a j2me app or the like that will download files to the phone, so i can use the media browser to install .jars from there?

Waz.
    =)

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Download files without using 'Browser'

you need the browser to DL files, thats the way it is.. no workarround for that.

I believe a workarround could be to send the JAR file to your phone using blueooth, ive heard some talking about it.. give me one sec, i'll try

Update: gah, the cookiemonster ate my laptop ability for BT..
    Last edited by Sci-Tek; 01-25-2008 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wboote View Post
    I've got a 8100, however I don't have the blackberry service enabled from my mobile provider (too expensive). I've just been using gprs for things like Opera Mini and jmIrc - which work fine.

The problem I have is that I can't install jars / jads over the internet as Opera Mini passes the url to 'Browser' which spits the dummy because it can't estabish a network connection.

Does anyone know of a j2me app or the like that will download files to the phone, so i can use the media browser to install .jars from there?

Waz.
    =)
    There is a way to get anything OTA to your handheld, but it's not for the faint of heart and needs to be done very carefully. I think if you search you can find threads here at the Stacks that discuss the how-to's of this thoroughly. It needs the downloads from RIM, the JDE and the Device Simulator. What it involves, simplified:

--Connect your handheld to your PC
    --Do a complete backup
    --Start your device simulator
    --Simulate a USB connection to the simulation
    --Restore the information you just backed up to the simulation
    --Download the content you want to the simulation, using your computer's internet connection
    --Do a backup of the simulation after the download is complete
    --Restore the simulation's backup to your actual handheld.

It's quite easy if you do it a few times. I've never had a data plan and used this method numerous times to get content from the internet. Like I said, if you want to try this there's threads where it is discussed more thoroughly I'm sure you can find with a search, or if you're interested I can discuss it in greater detail.

wboote no está en línea Stack level 1

That seems like a complicated way of getting jars onto your phone - once i updated the firmware to 4.2.1.xx i could just use the media explorer to open and install the jars.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

You might for the jars, but it's not guaranteed that without the browser you will be able to do the install afterwards. Try it and let us know if it works for you. Once downloaded to your media card, disconnect the BB from the PC, open the media app, open the menu, select Explore. Then browse to where you loaded the jar file, select it then Use the menu to open it. If it's going to work, you'll get a Download screen.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

interresting, bookmarking this one, thanks for sharing.