I spent a good part of the last few days trying to figure out how ... General Blackberry forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Thumbs up Download any size file to your BB

Advertisement

I spent a good part of the last few days trying to figure out how to download a file to my BB Curve 8530 (OS 5.0.0.886) that exceeded the 2.3MB limit set by RIM and FINALLY yesterday I got it to work.

The first option I tried was installing the Opera Mini 6 browser, which I had read would allow large downloads. It did in fact allow me to exceed the 2.3MB limit set by RIM, however, the largest file I was able to download was 19.3MB. Still a lot better then what it was

Then I came across this blog post on OmieTech Support and figured the worst case scenario, if it didn't work, I could just restore my BB from a backup. So I gave it a shot and it worked great! I was able to download a 300MB zip file to my SD card without any problems. Here's how I did it following the steps outlined in the above post...

1. Create a device backup using your BB Desktop Software

2. Enable "Legacy SB Restore" (go to options>advanced>service book…QWERTY users hold ALT and type SBEB, Storm users this will be ALT 4?2?)

3. Download the .ipd (Blackberry backup file) file located in the blog post.

4. Open your BB Desktop Software, go to Backup/Restore (I used Desktop Software 6.0, but believe the post was referring to Desktop Manager 5.0) and then Advanced. Select the .ipd (backup file) file you just downloaded and send it to your device. This will add I believe six service books.

5. Unplug your device. Go to Options>General Properties and you should now have new option for “NET Browser”. Set that as your default, start browsing and downloading. Your first download you may see a download agreement from RIM saying they're not responsible for anything you download. I personally did not get this message and instead received one that said something about the item cannot be displayed, do you want to save it. I selected yes, then selected my SD card as the destination and the file started downloading.

6. This may or may not remove your email. In the event it does, got to Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table, click the menu button and re-register. This will enable your email, however, MMS will NOT work during this time.

Once I was done downloading all my files, I returned to my Desktop Software, removed all service books and restored them from the backup I created in step one. I also hit the Host Routing Table and re-registered so that my MMS would start working again.

The only issue I do have with this method is the fact that I have read it is mostly used for those who want to access the internet, but do not have a data plan. This work around somehow bypasses both BIS and your data plan (so I am told), but I can't seem to find out HOW exactly it works as nobody seems to know.

Regardless, I don't download large files often, so it was worth it even if it was a bit tedious.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Nice tutorial, thanks!

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Nice tutorial, thanks!
    You're quite welcome
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Very nice pain, I mean Deb glad you got things worked out now it's Friday and you are on a role

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7
    Great information.....thanks.
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Enjoying life in Lehi, UT with my BB 9780 on ATT

manx driver no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    GREAT! Tks!