Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This seems to be a hot topic lately, and there have been a lot of ... General Blackberry forum

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

We don't need no stinkin' SMS - use Teleflip for free SMS

Advertisement

This seems to be a hot topic lately, and there have been a lot of posts that talk about it, but a search of the forum topics didn't lay it out completely, so...

Some providers (like AT&T that charges $0.15 per 160 character message - sent OR received!!) do NOT include SMS messaging as part of their BlackBerry Data Package, but after shelling out for a BlackBerry Data package, that is certainly adding insult to injury!

Well, if you have a BlackBerry data plan, you can use the FREE service Teleflip to send and receive* SMS messages without incurring those nasty SMS charges!

When you want to send an SMS message, simply email 10DigitPhoneNumber@teleflip.com using the recipient's 10 digit cell phone number in place of 10DigitPhoneNumber.

Your message will go out via email (covered by your BlackBerry data plan), but received by the cell phone of the 10 digit phone number you used in the email address as an SMS message.

Better yet, when the recipient replies to the SMS message, you'll receive it via email (again, covered by your BlackBerry data plan).
    TIP 1: If you have someone you SMS regularly, add their "Teleflip" SMS email address to their entry in your address book!

You do NOT need to register with the service to use it! The service is really designed for simple cell phones to be able to email out, but how nice that it works this way too!

One thing to remember - SMS messages cost per 160 characters. If you use an email address that automatically appends your signature, you can easily end up costing the recipient another message just because of the signature. Use an email address that doesn't automatically append a signature to your outgoing email.
    TIP 2: Set up an Autotext called sig that translates into what you'd normally like to use as a signature and turn off Auto Signature. Then, when you want your signature, simply type sig and hit [Space] or [Enter] and your signature will appear!
    One other thing. My company appends ALL emails with a legal disclaimer that by itself is four SMS messages! If you have a similar situation, and can set up a BIS account, be nice to the people you send messages to and set yourself
    For information on the service, go to https://www.teleflip.com

*Of course if someone sends you an SMS message, you'll receive it as an SMS message and incur any associated charges. I don't know if this would actually work (feedback please), but if you receive an SMS message, send back a message using the sender's Teleflip email address and ask the recipient to add that address to their address book for you so they can send you a message without getting it as an SMS message.
    JerryD

LokiUCLA no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just ask

Re: We don't need no stinkin' SMS - use Teleflip for free SMS

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i have tried this and it really works. Nice little free service. Though, I wonder what teleflip gets out of this? I do pay $4.99 a month for 200 SMS but that is just a backup for other incoming SMS.

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro

Nice, I was wondering if this still worked.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

OK, I'm trying it out. Lets see if it works.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

retrozion no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~where are u suppose to put the ten digit number... in the subject area?

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

when composing the email put it as
    TO: 10_digit_number@teleflip.com
    Subject: (optional but takes away from the 160 character limit)
    Body: (your short message)

I'd try to keep it under 120 characters when doing this method because the email address info takes up part of the limit.

PS: nice tip about the autotext
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Tulsadriller no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB it worked great! And when I got the response it came back as an e mail. Just like it said (wap.pinstack.com)~

DaddyFizzle no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    28A34994

This is pretty slick...I just tried it out and had no problems!

danchang111 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

This is probably a stupid question that will be answered in the negative, but would this work for me if I only had a data plan and no voice plan?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by danchang111
    This is probably a stupid question that will be answered in the negative, but would this work for me if I only had a data plan and no voice plan?
    My first thought is that since there's no phone number associated with your BlackBerry to route the message back to you.

However, since it's routing via email it might work. Give it a try and let us know!
    JerryD

danchang111 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

It don't think it works because if the other person receives it as an SMS, there has to be a phone number attached to it. If I don't have a phone number, what would my friend's cell phone say for the sender? UNKNOWN NUMBER?

series335 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31E6D6FD
    Just for info. I have always had unlimited data ... That is 39 dollars a month for medianet and browser unlimited data download, etc.

This plan includes 1,500 any type mesagges SMS PIC MMS IM.

Plan code is 'BBRYUNL_ALL4'

However you can now pay 20 per month for the following. Are pasted excerpt from att site Just now;

Messaging Unlimited - You have the freedom to message any way to any one (text, picture,video and IM)

No limit. This is a great deal IMO.

For what its worth. Hope it helps!

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Whenever I encounter a free service, the first question is "how do they make money out of it?" Here's a portion of their Terms of Service.

3. Usage Fees.
    (i) Currently, the flipOut!™ and flipMail™ Services are available as basic services, complimentary from Teleflip and as paid services, depending on the scope and degree of usage, and the acceptance of certain premium add-on functionalities to the Services. The parameters of the Basic Services, and the charges for the Paid Services, are set forth in the Statement of Rates located at http://www.teleflip.com/blog/services.

(ii) Notwithstanding the above, Teleflip reserves the right at any time to charge or increase fees for access to and/or use of all or any portion of one or both of the Services, including elimination of the Basic Services altogether.
    So my guess is they're still in a honeymoon trial period. If it really takes off, they intend to start charging or perhaps license it out to other companies as an add-on service.

squished

Naked Wife no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    When replying to someone's teleflip message, don't forget to delete the original text, or it gets sent back to the sender along with your reply.

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Thx bro, added 2 trust level
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast