Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just wondering. A friend of mine is getting a blackberry and an unlimited data plan ... General Blackberry forum

bbnovice422 no está en línea Stack level 2

Does wifi serve a purpose if you have an unlimited data plan?

Advertisement

Just wondering. A friend of mine is getting a blackberry and an unlimited data plan and we were trying to figure out if there's a need for wifi? And if so what?

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: Does wifi serve a purpose if you have an unlimited data plan?

Might make surfing a little faster. Also might make it easier to use VoIP such as SKYPE when on the WiFi connection. Other than that, I can't see the need.

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

The unlimited data plan is provided through your carrier's cell reception. Meaning that you will be able to access the internet wherever (well, in most places) you have cell coverage.

WiFi will only work if you are within range of a WiFi hotspot.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

DriftorX no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me!!

My guess with the wifi option it would making getting around the net much faster then using edge. DOnt hold me to it since i dont have wifi enable device to try out. Maybe with my next bb i upgrade to ill get wifi on it as well.

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
    Might make surfing a little faster. Also might make it easier to use VoIP such as SKYPE when on the WiFi connection. Other than that, I can't see the need.
    There is no VoIP client for BlackBerrys out. Although the 8320 can make UMA calls on WiFi.

seabirdone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20DE5001

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Go outside your U.D.P. Zone and you will notice why wi-fi is a must. My Data charge when I went to turkey for a week out of Eurozone was equiv $240.At $15 a MB Roll on TMO pearl 2 in UK. O2 have just released.Leaving BB at home next time. But can I???

So, I guess wifi would be a good choice for somebody who doesn't want a data plan but wants to go online every now and then.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by bbnovice422 View Post
    So, I guess wifi would be a good choice for somebody who doesn't want a data plan but wants to go online every now and then.

Don't think you can get email via wifi. Maybe someone with the wifi only can enlighten us?

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

i have both unlimited data and i have wifi access (bb 8320). i live in the sticks, so the wifi access is great when i am home... something else i realized is that while on a call via UMA, full data connectivity still works. for instance, all email, PIN msgs, and web browsing work even while i am on a phone call. this is good for being able to conduct business calls and still send/receive email and multi-task. if you have just the data plan and use EDGE, while on a call, you cant access the other data necessary items.
    I'm a born again Androider

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i dont see the need for wifi

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    i dont see the need for wifi
    hopefully you dont have a device that supports it then... would hate for that waste... its great for those who do appreciate and want it... if you would like to know how it could apply to you, lemme know!
    I'm a born again Androider

rdg20 no está en línea Stack level 1

My home is in a dead zone for cell phones. It would frequently drop calls or be unable to connect to the network. Go a block or so in any direction and reception is great. It was the same on Cingular & T-Mobile. With wifi I have a reliable voice connection when I'm home. Data is faster when using wifi for browsing the net.

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by bbnovice422 View Post
    Just wondering. A friend of mine is getting a blackberry and an unlimited data plan and we were trying to figure out if there's a need for wifi? And if so what?
    It all depends on your needs I guess, I have an 8820 with unlimited BIS account and it works great for me because I live in Tijuana MX and work in San Diego CA, so when im in Mexico I sometimes depend on WIFI to get my blackberry to be fully functional.

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
    Don't think you can get email via wifi. Maybe someone with the wifi only can enlighten us?

YES YOU CAN

Thats what i love about my 8820, I can send/receive emails, use bb messenger, browse the net, etc FULL FUNCTIONALITY!!!!
    I only regret the fact that my Carrier ATT doesnt have an @home plan like TMO, If it did I would bow to them everymorning at wake time.
    Last edited by cabron; 11-08-2007 at 02:23 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by cabron View Post
    YES YOU CAN

Thats what i love about my 8820, I can send/receive emails, use bb messenger, browse the net, etc FULL FUNCTIONALITY!!!!
    I only regret the fact that my Carrier ATT doesnt have an @home plan like TMO, If it did I would bow to them everymorning at wake time.
    So, you don't have a data plan and can do all of that through wifi?

If you use wifi to make a call or browse the internet, does it still eat away at your minutes? ie: If I have 1000 anytime minutes/month and I'm at home using my wifi all day, will it take away from my 1000 minutes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast