I am an AT&T subscriber with a BlackBerry Curve (8300). Over the weekend, I configured ... General Blackberry forum

MIMIC880 no está en línea Stack level 1

Does tethering make your carrier block service?

Advertisement

I am an AT&T subscriber with a BlackBerry Curve (8300). Over the weekend, I configured my computer per the instructions found on various FAQs and websites and successfully used my Curve as a tethered modem...without a single hitch.

I don't have a tethering plan. I DO, however, have a data plan.

That same weekend was when BlackBerry experienced the service interruptions. I only recently found out about the interruption.

I can neither send, nor receive email. The last email I received was early Sunday morning. Also, I cannot use the BlackBerry's browser. Text messages and voice works fine.

When I check my Services Status, I see this:

Voice Services
    Connection: Mobile Network

BlackBerry Internet Service
    Connection: not connected

I've tried everything under the Sun: removed the battery about 20 times, resent the service books, made sure my data services was configured to say "on", etc.

I finally gave in and called AT&T and they seemed not to know what my problem was, and told me that they'd call me some time the next day (which is today). Anyone have any other solutions? It seems as if the tethering issue was not a problem since the customer service rep didn't mention anything about my service being blocked.
    Last edited by MIMIC880; 09-13-2007 at 12:00 PM.

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F

Re: Does tethering make your carrier block service?

If you've tethered many times without the tether plan.. Its a possibility... But I'd think they'd just charge you extra fees instead of disconnecting your service...

I've HEARD that if they see incoming data spikes in your account, they assume you're tethering... Tethering vs data usage is quite a big difference...

Good luck in your problem...

MIMIC880 no está en línea Stack level 1

Well, everything is in working order now. After being bounced from AT&T to RIM to AT&T customer service reps, the guy found out that it was a problem with my SIM card. He updated it.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Question Re: Does tethering make your carrier block service?

Quote Originally Posted by joewoo
    If you've tethered many times without the tether plan.. Its a possibility... But I'd think they'd just charge you extra fees instead of disconnecting your service...

I've HEARD that if they see incoming data spikes in your account, they assume you're tethering... Tethering vs data usage is quite a big difference...

Good luck in your problem...

Do providers HAVE tether plans?! I've been wondering about tethering (my "Rotten service" thread). In my case I called T-Mobile and they said tethering is included in my Unlimited Data plan, np problem. Are there other carriers who do otherwise?

r1ch007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I'm with T-mobile UK and don't have a tethering plan (what T-mobile UK call web 'n' walk plus) and have never been charged extra for tethering since feb this year. Luckily enough the rep at the time said he would walk me through configuration as a 'tester' to see if the service would be of use to me???. I gathered he said that to cover his own back.

PIN/ID
    244F596F

Well, that's definitely different -- I'm in California myself. Apparently Asterix was right; the British are crazy

Thanks!

pinpoint no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's just wrong for a carrier to provide a tethering service with charges. It all comes down to the bytes anyways. Atleast for an unlimited account it should be included. My bb can't do flash, or provide full browsing... That's where my lappy comes in handy.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by gkast1
    Do providers HAVE tether plans?! I've been wondering about tethering (my "Rotten service" thread). In my case I called T-Mobile and they said tethering is included in my Unlimited Data plan, np problem. Are there other carriers who do otherwise?
    I'm pretty sure every other carrier has a separate tethering plan. I've seen them from $9.99 to $24.99. When I talked to an AT&T rep, he told me that they have revoked accounts for tethering without the plan, simply because they want you to buy the wireless card and plan. But it would take a lot of tethering and downloading for them to notice. Login in to check your email when you're in a cab every once in a while probably shouldn't be a problem. Just no mass file downloads.

PIN/ID
    244F596F

As a matter of fact I did have a wireless card from T-Mobile for a couple of years (unfortunately it had a 3.3 Volt requirement, not universally sensed...which led to its demise). T-Mobile was very nice about it, they verified the hardware malfunction and cancelled the account as I asked. I "replaced" it by tethering my BB ...and they made no bones abot it. Kudos! A reason not to go to another provider

DrMom no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I have TMo with the unlimited data plan. I teather with my 8100 daily with no problems.