I am interested in setting up my Sprint 8830 to receive my POP3 email (gmail ... General Blackberry forum

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

Does BIS kill my BES settings?

Advertisement

I am interested in setting up my Sprint 8830 to receive my POP3 email (gmail and personal). The problem is that when I first set up my BB to work with my BES (corporate email), then I connected it to my laptop (using DM) all the settings got erased. If I attempt to sign up for BIS at https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?b...rint&locale=en , will my BES email still work? If so, will all the emails come to the same inbox? If not, how do I select which account outbound emails will use?

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Does BIS kill my BES settings?

Wifi4milez, you may want to check with your BES Admin to see if your IT policy allows BIS email. Mine does, some don't. If it does, once you set your POP mail back up, you should be fine. Your mail will be delivered to the same inbox.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

If you install the desktop manager with options for BIS and desktop redirector it will break your BES connection when you plug the phone in.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Or if you install DM with the BES option on a PC that isn't on your company network (or otherwise lacks some sort of access to the BES -- via VPN or whatever).

BES and BIS are entirely separate. Your BES admin might have an IT policy in place restricting BIS but if you can set up BIS it will not affect your BES setup. I'm not sure why your settings were wiped out when you connected your BB but that was also some sort of exception and not the norm...

Quote Originally Posted by ljbyar
    Wifi4milez, you may want to check with your BES Admin to see if your IT policy allows BIS email. Mine does, some don't. If it does, once you set your POP mail back up, you should be fine. Your mail will be delivered to the same inbox.
    So you are saying it will either work or not work, but there is no chance of the BES settings being overriden correct? Assuming it does work, do I need to select which account I want to send from when composing an email? Finally, will the emails coming in through the BIS be subject to rules (viewing, loggin, etc) that BES related emails are?

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Or if you install DM with the BES option on a PC that isn't on your company network (or otherwise lacks some sort of access to the BES -- via VPN or whatever).

BES and BIS are entirely separate. Your BES admin might have an IT policy in place restricting BIS but if you can set up BIS it will not affect your BES setup. I'm not sure why your settings were wiped out when you connected your BB but that was also some sort of exception and not the norm...
    Thats strange. When I tried to install either BIS or BES using the DM from my home computer I was no longer able to send/receive work email from my BB. I shouldnt say it wiped the settings, since I could still see them in the options menu, it just seemed to over-ride them somehow. The only way to get them back after that was to wipe it and start anew.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    BES and BIS are entirely separate. Your BES admin might have an IT policy in place restricting BIS but if you can set up BIS it will not affect your BES setup.
    So just to clarify as I am about to try installing BIS, you are sure this will not in any way interfere with my BES settings (assuming it is allowed by IT)? Once BIS is configured, is there anyway to delete it or do I need to do a wipe? I should clarify that I will have both services running at the same time, will they interfere with one another?
    Last edited by wifi4milez; 09-12-2007 at 07:36 PM.

Bump! I really need to know this, so if someone can clarify it for me that would be great. I have POP3 email that I need to receive during the day, and I am not always at my computer to check it.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez
    So just to clarify as I am about to try installing BIS, you are sure this will not in any way interfere with my BES settings (assuming it is allowed by IT)? Once BIS is configured, is there anyway to delete it or do I need to do a wipe? I should clarify that I will have both services running at the same time, will they interfere with one another?
    If your IT allows personal email, BIS will not interfere with BES. I run both myself with no problems. Be sure to check with IT first though.