Sorry if this has been posted before - I tried to search but couldn't find ... General Blackberry forum

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3

Does BIS get emails before the ISP spam filters?

Advertisement

Sorry if this has been posted before - I tried to search but couldn't find anything.

I have BIS and have set up my email with my ISP (Comcast). It's a POP3 account. I haven't tested this thoroughly, but it *seems* that I get more spam on my BB than what shows up in my Comcast Inbox even when I check the Inbox at the server level, not downloading to Outlook Express. I know Comcast has their own spam filters. So does the email get pushed to the BB before going through Comcast's spam filters?

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Re: Does BIS get emails before the ISP spam filters?

It's my understanding that ISP spam filters are applied before they hit your ISP mailbox. The BIS pulls the mail from your ISP mailbox and then pushes it to your BB, unless you also have additional BIS-level filters that you created.

I think it is just perception that you receive more spam than before, particularly because it arrives more frequently instead of when you sit down at your PC and pull mail down.

That said, there is a small possibility that while the majority of your spam is coming through your ISP email, that it may be coming from other email accounts, including the @carrier.blackberry.net. Most people don't give that address out, but I have known a few who have. If that is the case, then yes -- more spam will come to your BB than Outlook.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

Thanks for the info. I haven't set up an account with @carrier.blackberry.net so it's probably not from there. You're right that it could be just a perception thing. I'll have to test it out a little more to make sure.

I did notice that sometimes this spam came in multiples. e.g., this morning I got the same spam email 5 times in my BB inbox (i.e., I had 5 emails). I deleted all of them, but next time I'll first check the Comcast Inbox to see if one copy of the same spam is there or if all 5 are there.

o1sowise no está en línea Stack level 3

Thumbs up Re: Does BIS get emails before the ISP spam filters?

Quote Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
    It's my understanding that ISP spam filters are applied before they hit your ISP mailbox. The BIS pulls the mail from your ISP mailbox and then pushes it to your BB, unless you also have additional BIS-level filters that you created...
    I can only speak for my ISP (GoDaddy via BIS), but this is exactly what I am seeing.
    I need to check their spam filtering daily. If their filter moved the message to the bulkmail folder, it does not show on my BB. If I mark it as not-spam, it then pops onto my BB.

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Spam filters are usually one step before the actuall mail server. So if the spam gateway marks the message as spam it will do the actions which its setuped to do (drop messages completley or mark it spam).
    Mailserver pickup the mail if it gets it, and will place it in a folder which is not fw to your BB.

Mark: out of office in lotus notes and outlook could interrupt this, be carefull when activating out of office on lotus notes.

Im not a notes admin but from experience out of office have a way to letting trough more mails.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll check it more carefully the next time I get spam. Fortunately, it's not very often.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

This depends on you ISP. Spam filters often will mark spam with the subject line [SPAM]. Many mail clients will automatically delete these. The blackberry BIS won't do this unless you set it up to filter these messages.

At least that's how my spam asassan is setup.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~