319CD04D
    yes and no
    Keep it simple; stupid (K.I.S.S.)

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me

over rated ?

look what i get on sprints rev o service....see photo
    I will admit its not often I get a test result like this , thats why I had to take a pic so people would believe me..... I also fish and understand fish stories but this is via blue tooth and a sprint curve. Thats faster than any other speed test I have ever seen even on dsl or a t 1 connection. go figure that
    i usually average 768k to 1.2 meg unless its at a peak time, who knows it may have been a fluke and will never happen again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HeywoodJ; 12-11-2008 at 02:51 AM.

suertetres no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yes, for my purpose. I carried the iphone 3g- surfing was decent, not sure i really noticed a big difference when it switched to edge. but its a cell phone, not a laptop, maybe my standards are low.

I have the curve now on AT&T- completly different browser, so its really not much of a comparison to me. For a cell phone, I think it is. I never really downloaded anything, although from the app store there was a difference in dl speed.

ok- rambling----CN- yes, i think its overated- email and occasional browsing to pass time, or to check weather, flights seem to load the same, anything more intense, i have a laptop for that

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    It depends on what you use 3G for. If you are just browsing websites, then there is hardly any difference between 3G and EDGE. After all, you are just rendering text and a few jpegs.

I doubt anyone is actually downloading files onto their cell phone.

Where it does make a difference is for people like me who want to talk on the phone and be able to send email at the same time. That is where the strength of 3G is. In any other instance, EDGE should be fine.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    I think the bb browser is the issue. It still trys and compress site to make the download quicker. This was a good idea when we where on edge but now we have a good connection and I notice what slows it down is the browser compressing everything.so the jump from edge to 3g is small as the browser spends 75% of the time rendering the page in its format.
    Hope I made sense.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    When it comes to 3g cellphones yes 3g is overrated.
    But when it comes to the wireless broadband cards, 3g is the best. I have a dell broadband card running att 3g on it. That my Internet browsing is faster than wifi. unless when your streaming videos, it streams fast but not as fast as wifi.

So i would yes to Data Card, and no to cell phones
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Contrasting EDGE & 3G, No I don't Think it is Overrated, all though I don't know if I would be able to stand it on my Laptop. I do know that there is one particular area around my parts, and it is kind of Ironic because they are building about Ten Condos in that area, but as soon as I get within that seven Block radius, my 3G turns into EDGE and that's the end of Surfing for me, my Bold just doesn't act right on Edge.

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    3g for blackberries (cept the storm) is unnessasary...for the iphone its great too...
    For my bold... Its a great convenience... But def over hyped...

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    It's faster than edge and nice to have as an alternative along with wifi.
    Last edited by calm_tiger; 12-11-2008 at 10:31 AM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I feel that while 3G may be over hyped, nonetheless it's a very important technology. One very distinct advantage of 3G is the ability to pass data concurrently with voice. This is a very significant achievement that should not go overlooked. Far too much is made of speed, and or lack of it, when compared to EDGE. If one finds the difference between the speed of data flowing via EDGE versus a 3G connection is minimal, that is more a reflection on RIM and it's lack of embracing the 3G network until just recently. In no way is it representative of the true speed that is possible on a fully developed 3G network. Still in it's infancy here in the USA we have yet to truly experience the advantages that will become obvious once the major carriers complete their networks.

In particular when it comes to BlackBerrys, RIM being the ultra conservative company they are, 3G development as implemented by them is only just beginning. I have many other brands of 3G phones running on AT&T's 3G network and they are quite a bit faster than my Bold is via 3G. That will change as RIM is literally being forced to embrace 3G as it blends into the consumer market. Thus at the end of the day while there is not that much of an advantage to a 3G equipped BlackBerry presently, that will change dramatically in the next year.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~For me, 3G would be a great addition, but I won't cry about it if I don't have it.

bigblue95z no está en línea Stack level 3
    For ATT, YES!!!!! For one, I've gotta go at LEAST 100 miles before I get a 3G signal. They keep talking about being the fastest 3G network, but it's probably due to them only having like 20% coverage being 3G. 3G is awesome, and ridiculously fast with ATT, when you're on a 3G tower(which I'm not at school).

As far as it being a leap with being able to do voice/data at the same time, I don't see it as such a big deal. More and more of voice communication is done via data connections and it seems to make sense that it would be the evolutionary trend for cellular communication as well.

fritzdoss no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    I think it is what it means to the individual user. Whenever I am on a friends Verizon or Sprint model BB, it is a much faster and more pleasant experience. I typically am just downloading updates or apps for them because their technical knowledge of the device ends at power on button. For my personal use, I browse pinstack, check sports scores on ESPN, pay bills on BoA, and other similar tasks. My ATT bold, wether on wifi or 3G is never as snappy or quick as Sprint or Vrz version of 3G. So for me it is not overated. I constantly yern for the real thing. My friends Tilt on ATT 3G is smokin fast. Something not as efficient on the BB.

dts51 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask ;-)
    I don't feel it's over rated at all...just being able to talk and use data simultaneously is worth it...but a very pleasant surprise is that with 3G, unlike with EDGE, you don't have that annoying feedback noise heard from speakers within close proximity, that is very annoying to me! With 3G, silence is back.
    "May fortune favor the foolish" ...... Captain James T. Kirk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast