Unless I am missing something, it seems that the Blackberry OS does not do a ... General Blackberry forum

aaronlws no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Do you (have problems) sync'ing personal folders?

Advertisement

Unless I am missing something, it seems that the Blackberry OS does not do a good job of "sync'ing" email to folders and / or keeping those emails in those folders (as the unit will eventually delete older messages to make space for new ones).

It seems that Windows mobile or Palm OS do a better job of this.

As such, do people even bother "sync'ing" their personal folders (via the re-director)?

Seems to me this is a wasted step as those emails will eventually go away (very soon if you get a lot of emails)...
    Last edited by aaronlws; 06-19-2007 at 06:33 PM.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Do you sync personal folders?

There's no such thing as email folders for BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service).

If you're on a BES, you can sync to a PST, but I don't think it's wireless - you'd need to manually sync for the moves and changes to occur.

With BES, you can wirelessly sync any folder under your Mailbox, and even move emails from folder to folder on your BlackBerry.

To sync a folder other than your Inbox and Sent Items:
    1. From the Main Screen, go into Messages, Click the wheel/menu button and select Options.
    2. From the Options list, select Email Settings.
    3. From Email Settings, Click the wheel/menu button and select Folder Redirection.
    4. The top line will say Desktop, and immediately under that will be Mailbox - your display name. Scroll to the Mailbox line, Click the wheel/menu button and select Expand.
    5. All the email folders under your Mailbox will now display below it. If a folder has sub folders, it will have a + to the left of it and can be expanded the same way as described in step 4.
    6. All folders monitored by the BES will have a checkmark in the box to the left of the folder name.
      1. To monitor a folder that isn't currently being monitored (doesn't have a check in the box to the left of it), scroll down to that folder and hit [Space] to check the box.
      2. To turn off monitoring of a folder that has a check next to it, scroll down to the folder and hit [Space] to clear the checkmark.
    Also, be aware that emails moved from your mailbox to a personal folder (.PST) will not be removed from the BlackBerry until they "expire" (go past the Keep Messages setting under General Options or until the device needs memory if it's set to Forever). This is because the BES can only monitor the Mailbox and the folders under it. If an email is moved out of a Mailbox folder into a Personal Folder, as far as the BES is concerned, it simply disappeared. Rather than err on the side of deleting something that shouldn't have been deleted, BES simply ignores the fact that the email no longer exists and leaves it on the BlackBerry.

You can easily delete emails from the Messages list when you have a date break line highlighted by Clicking the wheel/menu button and selecting Delete Prior.
    JerryD

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Do you (have problems) sync'ing personal folders?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronlws
    Unless I am missing something, it seems that the Blackberry OS does not do a good job of "sync'ing" email to folders and / or keeping those emails in those folders (as the unit will eventually delete older messages to make space for new ones).
    In addition to what jdellasalla pointed out (i.e. no forwarding of mail in folders without BES), Blackberries do not sync email. Email is pushed to your device and reconciled. This isn't the same as sync at all. Reconciliation will never get old email to your device, for one thing. Reconciliation basically updates moves and read status. Deletions are handled by your delete setting: BB, BB and mailbox or Prompt. The latter two deletion options are really only valid for BES and in certain cases with BIS (i.e. Yahoo, etc).

If you're on BIS, odds are that you're not even getting full reconciliation (i.e. with BIS and Yahoo, gmail, etc) or, in most cases, you're not getting any reconciliation at all (any POP account).

I know it's not made very clear anywhere but there's a distinct difference that is important to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronlws
    the unit will eventually delete older messages to make space for new ones
    That really depends on how you have your BB configured/loaded. You can keep email as long as you want as long as you don't exceed the device's memory limit. On devices without a microSD card, that means that your device memory not only has to store all your data (email, contacts, calendar, etc) but your apps, ringtones, pictures, etc as well. Obviously, you have a bit more leeway with a device with a microSD slot since you can move ringtones, music, pictures, video, etc to the card.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-20-2007 at 10:56 AM.

aaronlws no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Do you sync personal folders?

If this is true, and as I work in an environment where classifying my emails into categories and putting them into folders is the only way to keep my work life straight, what advantages does the Bberry OS have over Windows Mobile or some other OS that actually "sync's" emails / folders / etc...?