Check out this read I copied from the Yahoo! front news page...enjoy!!! SATURDAY, Sept. 9 ... General Blackberry forum

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Do You Have The Dreaded "Blackberry Thumb???"

Advertisement

Check out this read I copied from the Yahoo! front news page...enjoy!!!

SATURDAY, Sept. 9 (HealthDay News) -- You can now add "BlackBerry Thumb" to the list of workplace maladies, says the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).

BlackBerry Thumb refers to an increasingly common, repetitive-stress injury stemming from use of the popular handheld electronic devices. This stress injury causes pain and/or numbness in the thumbs and joints of the hands.

The condition is caused by spending too much time on these devices -- checking and composing e-mails, instant messaging, and accessing the Internet.

"The use of PDAs (personal digital assistants) is no longer limited to the eight hours spent in the workplace," Margot Miller, president of the APTA's Occupational Health Special Interest Group, said in a prepared statement.

"More and more, people are depending on these devices to stay in touch with friends and family before and after the work day and on the weekends, as well as having access to work when they leave the office; that is where the heart of the problem lies," Miller said.

Many PDA users are middle-aged and overuse of the handheld devices can aggravate underlying arthritis.

"Because the keyboard of the PDA is so small, and because the thumb, which is the least dexterous part of the hand, is overtaxed (for faster typing), the risk of injury just skyrockets," Miller said.

The APTA offers the following tips on how to avoid BlackBerry Thumb:
    • Take frequent breaks from your PDA. Don't type for more than a few minutes at a time.
    • Write fewer and shorter messages. Learn to abbreviate your responses.
    • Try to avoid thumb-typing. Use your other fingers to type.
    • If possible, place a support in your lap when using a PDA, so that your wrists are in a more upright position and not flexed or bent.
    The APTA also recommends the following simple exercises:
    • Tap each finger with the thumb of the same hand. Repeat five times.
    • Alternate tapping the palm of your hand and the back of your hand against your thigh as quickly as you can. Repeat 20 times.
    • Open your hands and spread your fingers as far apart as possible. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat eight times.
    • Fold your hands together, and turn your palms away from your body as you extend your arms forward. You should only feel a gentle stretch. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat eight times.
    • Fold your hands together, turn your palms away from your body, and extend your arms overhead. You should feel the stretch in your upper torso and shoulders to hand. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat eight times.
    More information

The U.S. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke has more about repetitive motion disorders.

This is crazy!!! I never thought it to be possible to have a "repetitive stress injury" just from using your BB!!! Well, time to update the old insurance so that I can have Blackberry coverage!!!

JadedBerry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    203B4165

Re: Do You Have The Dreaded "Blackberry Thumb???"

Great Googly Mooglies! Carpal Tunnel of the thumbs.. I LOVE IT!
    One out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.

johnnyh no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23d4732b

Ok I am prcthtidbing wit oter figers, well not doing too well back to the thumbs.
    Johnny

quiche no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Great googly mooglies? I haven't heard that in ages! But hey if I get carpel tunnel of the thumbs, I can blame it on the job even though it's my personal bb! Workman's comp! Woo hoo!

PIN/ID
    3G

Next thing you'll know we'll have to meet certain criteria to purchase/use a bb. Or even worse you'll have to sign a waiver or something stating you won't file a claim against your job or RIM...what is this world coming to???

PIN/ID
    203B4165

Quote Originally Posted by UH8ME
    Next thing you'll know we'll have to meet certain criteria to purchase/use a bb. Or even worse you'll have to sign a waiver or something stating you won't file a claim against your job or RIM...what is this world coming to???

<whispers> it's the lawyers faults. If that lawyer in the McDonalds Coffee Burn case had looked at the fat cow and said, well duh coffee is hot! instead of taking the case and causing a trickle down effect of thousands of worthless, useless lawsuits that will continue to clog the courts for years to come, then we wouldn't have stupid waivers for work or work related items because no one would even THINK to sue over something like that.
    One out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.

PIN/ID
    3G

Jaded...

I agree with you 100%. It's just like those who have sued McDonalds because of their obesity...come on now, you were overweight before you sink your teeth into that 3rd quarter pounder...did ya think it was a weight loss food???

PIN/ID
    203B4165

OMG, we were so just talking about that ..LOL. My g/f who's 5'4" and 240+ pounds is getting ready to have gastric bypass, and she always whines about how it's McDonald's fault or another fast food restaurant, I just roll my eyes and tell her it's her own fault for not getting off her butt and exercising, for going and ordering a Super-Sized meal, and many other reasons..then last night she says she's thinking about suing McDonalds et al for the cost of her surgery and skin pulling.. I told her that was "ducking fumb" and to start taking responsibility for her own inactions instead of always blaming someone else.

Ok, done with my rant.. lol.

PIN/ID
    3G

I feel you Jaded!!!

nboy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    246b7029

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i feel you to jaded!

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

AHH! America the land where you can sue for any reason or whim! Man I love this good ol USA! Lol!

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Thank you, drive through!!!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I have tried typing on my BB with other fingers and it just doesn't work.

PIN/ID
    3G

I tried typing with my feet...no luck!!!
    (LOL!!!) J/K!!!