Heres a question for you experts out there.. I couldn't figure out which forum it ... General Blackberry forum

guamishkind no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Do you have to own a phone to get it unlocked by your carrier?

Advertisement

Heres a question for you experts out there.. I couldn't figure out which forum it went under so I put it under the general section..

Here is my dilemma.. I bought a T-Mobile locked 8320 on ebay and I am an AT&T customer. I need the phone unlocked and I have a friend who is a T-Mobile customer (and has been for a while).

Can I give him the IMEI number and have him ask T-Mobile for the unlock code, or can he only ask for unlock codes for phones that he has "registered" with T-Mobile.. Also, are there any negative effects of asking for an unlock code for a phone you don't own?

PIN/ID
    LESS
    He should be able to ask for one..Never hurts to try

ok. i didnt know if they would lock down the phone or something since he doesn't "own" it.. you think they would do that or would they just simply say "sorry we can't give you the code"

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    They would just say no.

They would never know if he's the owner of it or not. Basically he's out of an unlock code for another 90 days if he does it for you.

ok cool. thanks.

wsantos no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32CE16BE
    Also, try to see if there is any desktop software available for your phone.. Maybe you can do it yourself from your PC.

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    The only phone that I know tmo can't unlock is the sidekicks
    There usually pretty good about unlocking phones and no they won't lock it on their network once the phone is unlocked it can be used any gsm network

If all fails go to ebay for about 10 to 13 dollars you can get an unlock code in less than 24hours the seller I always use is cellfastunlock

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~