Question to all PinStackers in here....... Knowing that the BlackBerry's our best friend, I can ... General Blackberry forum

BerryGordy no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Do You Feel Secure With Your BB?

Advertisement

Question to all PinStackers in here.......

Knowing that the BlackBerry's our best friend, I can say that WE (meaning us as a community of BlackBerry users), store various personal data in the great applications that it contains such as, Messages (our e-mail accounts and texting), Calendar, Call Log, Address Book, Memo Pad, Password Keeper, etc., so on and so on.

My question to all is, do you feel secure knowing our BlackBerries, that are connected and ran thru by networks, carriers, and servers, can and could be hacked by crooked employees of thoes companies.. and also, would it change your BlackBerry ways of use?

*I am not a genius nor a techincal stickler. My purpose of this is to raise a discussion of a underated topic.

Thank you to all that reads and participate.

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

Re: Do You Feel Secure With Your BB?

Hi BerryGordy,

I would recommend you try going to the following link and reading the separate documents within. It really explains BlackBerry Security indepth.

blackberry.com/products/enterprisesolution/security/

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Well. I guess it would depend on who you were trying to keep your information private from.

Do I think the average CSR rep is going to get into my emails and messengers and whatnot? Not really. Is it possible? Of course. But not too feesible.

Now, would I recommend doing certain business over the device? Of course not. Just like in everything, there are things that are best done and discussed in person. Especially if you are referring to shady business activities or illegal activities. After all, supeonas aren't that hard for the government/police agencies to obtain. Remember the CEO of HP?

Anything transmitted wirelessly obviously has the CHANCE to be intercepted by a 3rd party. One thing that has always interested me, is wondering if (and there probably is but oh well) some 3rd party type applications that keep a log on everything that is sent and received over their network.

Like I said, its possible to have a large database that records and stores everything, but is it likely? Probably not.

Bottom line: there is some things that are better done in person rather than over an email/im/phonecall/etc.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

While I don't disagree that anything could, theoretically, be intercepted, there is still some pretty serious sercurity here that make it impractical that even if the data were intercepted. (For someone to intercept your data as it's being transmitted to/from your handheld, they'd have to be within the same cell site location as you and close enough to pick up your particular device, which, while not impossible, is something that is not within the realm of the run-of-the-mill script kiddie type hacker.)

I won't address the use of BIS or hosted BES for email, since I'm not familiar enough to speak about those, but if you're using your own corporate BES, any message transmitted to or from your handheld device is going to be encrypted with a public/private key pair that is going to be extremely resistant to cracking. (This is why the US government, among others, allow the use of this technology.) That means that even if someone were to somehow intercept the data it would be extremely difficult to decrypt. As for a CSR being able to access your data, for the (normally) relatively short time that your data is stored on either RIM's system or on a carrier's system (waiting to be transmitted), it's still encrypted using the public/private key pair, and there is (hopefully!) no "magic key" that any CSR could use to read your email.

The biggest vulnerability for email in most environments is probably while the email is sitting on your corporate server. (I know that our Notes administators have the ability to access user's mailboxes, as that information is considered to be "owned" by my employer.)

As for other types of data, if you're doing web browsing, make sure that any transactions are performed over https (secure HTTP), which you'd want to do over a non-wireless device as well.

All that aside, make sure you use common sense and take reasonable precautions whenever you use a Blackberry (or any kind of computer) in public: Make sure that nobody is looking over your shoulder, remember to change your passwords, etc.
    David

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by dkozinn
    The biggest vulnerability for email in most environments is probably while the email is sitting on your corporate server. (I know that our Notes administators have the ability to access user's mailboxes, as that information is considered to be "owned" by my employer.)
    Don't even bother trying to keep private info on a company BES-connected Blackberry.