Hello everyone, Excuse my ignorance, ive own my first blackberry (8300) for 3 weeks and ... General Blackberry forum

jxlarrea no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Do i need BIS in order to use BES?

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

Excuse my ignorance, ive own my first blackberry (8300) for 3 weeks and im wondering whats the deal with the BIS and BES thing is.

Im located in Ecuador and my operator is named Porta. The BIS service costs around $30/month and only allows e-mail and http traffic, which sucks because i need to use several apps that require TCP to work.

I've read about these hosted BES solutions, some of them being as cheap as $10/month and provide MDS which will let me have TCP/IP traffic in my device. Question: Do i need to have BIS in order to use a hosted BES solution? If i suscribe to a hosted BES, do i still need to keep paying the $30/month for the BIS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PacketRat no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: Do i need BIS in order to use BES?

BIS is Blackberry Internet Service, BES is Blackberry Enterprise Server. The difference is BIS is a service used more for personal and small company Blackberry use where as BES is a server that is purchased and installed that gives more control and options for users. You do not need to have 1 to have the other they are different options to get the basic email sync. I would suggest if money is not the object go with a hosted BES service, you will then get more out of your Blackberry device like contact, calender and notes synchronization with outlook. Good luck.
    -------
    PacketRat
    258CDFE8

PacketRat: Thanks for your reply. So this means i can cancel my BIS plan and just go for BES?

Since im the IT manager of the company i work for, i can make the admin install the BES Express Edition (free) just for my usage (since it only supports 1 client).

Also, im already downloading the BES Express for MS Exchange (since thats what we use) but all my personal email account arent hosted in that Exchange server. Will i still be able to get mail from Gmail and other external POP3 account?

I know i can get the mail from those accounts (gmail, etc) using a POP3 connector in my Exchange account, but i dont want my personal accounts to mix with this Exchange server.

PIN/ID

All devices need to have some sort of data plan. The basic plan usually is the BIS service. The "better" option would be the BES service which lets you connect to a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server). You will need some sort of Blackberry data plan whether it is BIS or BES. If your on a BES plan you will have the capability to connect to a BES while still having the option of using BIS services so you can get Gmail and POP3 mail. Hope this helps and didn't make it more confusing.
    -------
    PacketRat
    258CDFE8

Thanks, everything is clear now. So i guess that a BES plan is more expensive than the BIS right?

PIN/ID

yes usually.
    -------
    PacketRat
    258CDFE8

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

The BES Express or Lite Edition is free and supports up to 5 Blackberry's. To use the BES though (non-hosted) you have to have Exchange Server, Groupwise, or Lotus Domino for the BES to function and to get all that, if you don't already have it, it will cost you several thousand dollars but it does add much more functionality to your BB.

Look at the Hosted BES unless your company already has one of the servers I named above.
    Last edited by KalebsDad78; 09-10-2007 at 01:04 PM.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

BES Express supports up to 15 users before you need to upgrade your primary license and then it will support unlimited users.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Wow, 15? All I've ever seen is 5. Is that new?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I thought BES Express only supports 1 user.

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

You get 1 free license with it, every license after that is $99.00 and yes it supports up to 15 users, I have 3 BES Express servers here at my office with 15 on each one. It's still cheaper then getting the enterprise server for us at least.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

boas1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Our company has Exchange 2003 server and want to deploy a crm application that requires BES. Approx 70 users, how much does BES cost if you put it on an exchange server or does it need its own separate server?