Ok, bit of a strange one. I've just downloaded blackberry app world on an old ... General Blackberry forum

betteronholiday no está en línea Stack level 2

Disappearing Emails Upon Download

Advertisement

Ok, bit of a strange one.

I've just downloaded blackberry app world on an old curve 8320, which is about a year and a half old.

On one of the push email addresses I have on it, there were around 100 or so emails that had been sent to the device, but i'd not opened. This was just as a kind of back up, so I had the emails, whilst a colleague actually responded to them - long story!

Anyhow, upon downloading app world, the unopened emails just disappeared before my eyes - 100,99,98,97,96, etc - as the application was installing. Also, quite a big chunk of already read emails vanished too from the same address, dating back well over six months.

Any ideas why this was, and more importantly, would the emails have been deleted permanently, or would they be recoverable, as they're no longer on the mail server itself?

Cheers.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Sounds like a memory issue. Go to Options>Status and let us know what the File Free reading is.

If you store a lot of e-mails and use 3rd party applications on your device, this is probably the culprit.

Your File Free should remain at or above 10mb to be safe. Once you start getting into the single digits, the device will start looking for ways to free up space on its own (like arbitrarily deleting e-mails, texts, etc).

Anyway, let us know what you find out. There's a thread in the Technical Support Blog link in my signature with instructions on how to free up memory. Post back and we'll get you started.

Cheers,
    Roger

Ah, very annoying, but makes sense. Memory is currently at 9.7 mb.

If you still have the Help and TTY applications on your device, you can start by deleting those.

Unless you are hearing impaired, you don't need the TTY application and you don't need the Help application because, well, you have PinStack!

Go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications. Let the list populate then scroll down to the app, highlight it and then press the BB menu button and Delete it. Do this for any 3rd party applications you don't use any more as well as the Help and TTY. Those two alone should free up about 5mb.

Delete whatever e-mails/texts/call logs you don't need on the device anymore as well.

Once that's completed, do a battery pull and let us know what the File Free reading is after that.

Ok, will get started on that.

I've got a back up, lurking somewhere on my pc, which i think would help get back some of the deleted emails, done through desktop manager a while back. As I've not changed any of the default settings, any idea of what folder / file i should be on the look out for?

In the meantime, many thanks for your help!

You'll want to do a search on your PC for files with an .ipd extention.

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post

Once that's completed, do a battery pull and let us know what the File Free reading is after that.
    Memory is now clocking in at a slightly more healthy 19mb file free!

Wish I'd known that emails get deleted automatically to free up memory, when the device's memory is full, before i lost all mine.

As I'd selected the 'keep forever' option, i would of at least expected some sort of warning before this happened, but you live and learn i guess.

Cheers.

Sounds good!