Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a problem that does not seem to be easily solved. I have noticed ... General Blackberry forum

bellalisa99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Smile Disappearing appointments in calendar

Advertisement

I have a problem that does not seem to be easily solved. I have noticed that my past appointments keep disappearing from my BB. I have an 8100 Pearl, and the settings are correct for the calendar. I am admittedly low on memory, but I do not believe that is the problem, as I am not missing emails etc. I've done a sync with my outlook to load the appointments back in but it doesn't work. I am wondering if there is something short of doing a full wipe or deleting more programs. My OS is 4.5 but the phone is starting to lock up on me when the Bluetooth is on, so I'm thinking maybe its a phone problem? I have facebook on the phone but I don't have a calendar sync for it set up at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    How long did you set the appointments to stay on the calendar? That may be why they disappear.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Erica,
    I have it set to "forever", but even when I changed it to 90 days it didn't register any dates except for last week.

BBJill no está en línea Stack level 1

Arrow help!

This just happened to me today!!!!!!!!!!!! I only have appts for last week forward... I NEED the past 5 months appts.

Any chance of recovering the old??? (and no I have not done a sync because I have a Mac and hadn't been able to sync. And i had my appts to be kept forever)

Pleeeeeeeaase tell me I can get that stuff back!

- Jill

Oh wow. I hadn't had that happen to me before. I'm stumped. I searched my phone's Help app. The only thing that it states relating to memory is old messages, apps, themes, browser options but nothing about the calendar.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Here's my latest research.
    I think you may have lost the messages but try increasing your memory, ie, erase some 3rd party programs, and then Change your save option in the calendar to 6 months. I haven't gotten mine back and I think they are lost because I DID sync with outlook and I then lost the appts. Good luck!

Sorry to be such a newb... but how do I check my memory? Also for me, I doubt it's a memory problem. I have not added any programs or anything to my phone and I do keep up w/ deleting old emails.

- Jill

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to PinStack, Jill!

Options>Status......the File Free reading is what you're looking for.

BlackBerry devices are notorious for memory leaks, so it's always good to do weekly, if not daily housekeeping. You'll find a thread in the Technical Support Blog link in my signature that addresses many of the things you can do to keep up with your device memory.

By the way, there is a Desktop Manager available (or coming soon) for Macs, so you should really check into getting that loaded onto your computer. Without it, I'm afraid there is no way to recover your past appointments.

Cheers,
    Roger

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Jill,
    You should also pull out your battery and then reinsert it. This is a "battery pull" and it will add memory back in that has "leaked out".

^^^ Yes, do that after you've done all the "housecleaning" and it will reallocate the memory on the device.

Thanks guys. I have 8,000,000+ bytes free. HOWEVER... I did go to a Verizon store and they connected me w/ a tech who was fairly helpful. She said I would not be able to recover any of my missing appts. I was hoping it was like when you delete a file on a PC... although you can't see it anymore, savvy users can recover the file. She also suspects that I have a memory leak. I did remember that last week one of my address book entries disappeared and she asked if I'd lost some of my phone log and I had. She says the phone deletes stuff even though there's plenty of space. So - she recommended I download the Blackberry Mac software (which I'd done yesterday) and sync my phone.

I did a backup of my phone and then I did the sync. I feel better... AND about one quarter of my lost appts have reappeared! YAY! Better than nothing. The tech is going to call me tomorrow to do something to solve the memory leak problem. Can you solve the memory leak????

Thanks for your help!!! I appreciate it.

- Jill
    (and I did pull the battery yesterday, because I'd read that somewhere on this site )

Depending on which device it is, you may be able to upgrade the Operating System to a newer version. Sometimes that solves it. You can also delete old/unused applications, themes, messages; clear the browser options (cache, memory, pushed content); clear the Event Log by holding the ALT key and typing L G L G. Once that opens, hit the Menu (BB) key and Clear Log. Set the Memory Cleaner in Options>Security Options>Memory Cleaning>Status to Enabled. Set the option Show Icon On Home Screen to Yes and click on that icon to clean the Memory. I also just purchased Quick Pull Pro (Google that) to avoid taking the battery out of my phone every day.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 12-04-2009 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBJill View Post
    Thanks guys. I have 8,000,000+ bytes free. HOWEVER... I did go to a Verizon store and they connected me w/ a tech who was fairly helpful. She said I would not be able to recover any of my missing appts. I was hoping it was like when you delete a file on a PC... although you can't see it anymore, savvy users can recover the file. She also suspects that I have a memory leak. I did remember that last week one of my address book entries disappeared and she asked if I'd lost some of my phone log and I had. She says the phone deletes stuff even though there's plenty of space. So - she recommended I download the Blackberry Mac software (which I'd done yesterday) and sync my phone.

I did a backup of my phone and then I did the sync. I feel better... AND about one quarter of my lost appts have reappeared! YAY! Better than nothing. The tech is going to call me tomorrow to do something to solve the memory leak problem. Can you solve the memory leak????

Thanks for your help!!! I appreciate it.

- Jill
    (and I did pull the battery yesterday, because I'd read that somewhere on this site )
    So the tech basically told you the same things we told you here....

Glad you're getting things sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    So the tech basically told you the same things we told you here....
    Yep... you guys are the best

But Ms Kerri from Verizon has not called me I got up early! :\ <sigh>

Well, there is really no way to solve the memory leak. It is an inherent "feature" of BlackBerry devices.

What device do you have and what OS are you running on it? Sometimes an OS upgrade will help with memory leaks, but again, this is something that is common with these devices. Best thing you can do is to do the housekeeping mentioned earlier on a regular basis, making sure you keep your memory level above the 10mb range. That seems to be the "magic number" as to when things like what has been described here start happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast