I just purchased the blackberry pearl the other day and i was wondering how to ... General Blackberry forum
Different text message tones???
I just purchased the blackberry pearl the other day and i was wondering how to change the alert when i get a text message. i downloaded ring tones but they won't work for text messages..is there a way i can change that?? thanks!
Speaker -> Advanced-> Profile -> Sms Text
Is there a way to have custom text tones for different contacts?
There isn't really a good way of doing this via the stock BlackBerry OS, although there may be a 3rd party app that allows this. If so, I'm not aware of one. That said, there is a "trick" I found for doing it via Profiles, but it's not as simple as assigning a custom ringtone. Basically it uses Profile Exceptions to override your active profile. The downside is that if you ever need to use the vibrate profile, your exceptions will override it and thus still make a sound when the people you have configured send you a text.
Originally Posted by smoaky396
First, you'll need to create a unique profile for each person/group of persons to whom you want to assign a custom sms tone.
- Profiles -> Scroll down to Advanced
- BB Menu key -> New Profile
- Name the profile whatever you want (ex. Person's name you're creating the profile for)
- Set the SMS Text tone (and other tones) in your new profile to whatever you want
- Save the Profile
- Repeat steps 2-5 until you've created unique profiles for everyone to whom you want to assign a custom sound.
- BB Menu key -> New Exception
- Name the exception similar to how you named each profile
- Move to the "From" field and select "Add Name"
- Navigate to the person in your address book to whom you want to assign the custom text/sms tone and select them
- Move to the "Use Profile" field, and select the Profile you created earlier that corresponds to the Exception and select it
- Save the exception
- Repeat steps 7-12 until you've created unique exceptions to correspond with each unique profile that you created earlier
Last edited by bonebox; 07-07-2008 at 06:29 PM.
thanks bonebox, that is really helpful. i always wanted to do this so i know who is texting without even looking at the phone. that way if im busy i know, depending on who it is, if the message can wait or not
Not a Bad little Tip there bone. Altho opposite of what Anela Does. I just dont answer my Texts anyways. =P
It still would b easier if you could just set a custom SMS tone for separate contacts like you can for phone calls. Maybe in 4.6? Haha.
No prob! I'm glad at least someone found it useful
Originally Posted by Anela808
And I thought I was the only one who used that convoluted way to set unique sounds for Pins, SMS, etc
I prefer that method too
Originally Posted by TorturedNacho
Oh, for sure! I'm not holding my breath until they add it, though...
Originally Posted by Noah0504
Lol, convoluted indeed! I honestly don't even actually use it I just came across it a long time ago when I was playing with profiles. I use the vibrate profile way too often and this doesn't play nice with that at all.
Originally Posted by kieranwest
Okay I tried this like a billion ways and can't get it to work. I did it step for step but it still won't play the exception for some reason. Could my profiles be messed up or is there another setting I could have set or am I just dumb? Can someone help me this would be awesome!
Originally Posted by bonebox
Tags for this Thread