I just purchased the blackberry pearl the other day and i was wondering how to ... General Blackberry forum

Jasmine247 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Different text message tones???

Advertisement

I just purchased the blackberry pearl the other day and i was wondering how to change the alert when i get a text message. i downloaded ring tones but they won't work for text messages..is there a way i can change that?? thanks!

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Speaker -> Advanced-> Profile -> Sms Text

smoaky396 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Is there a way to have custom text tones for different contacts?

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by smoaky396 View Post
    Is there a way to have custom text tones for different contacts?
    There isn't really a good way of doing this via the stock BlackBerry OS, although there may be a 3rd party app that allows this. If so, I'm not aware of one. That said, there is a "trick" I found for doing it via Profiles, but it's not as simple as assigning a custom ringtone. Basically it uses Profile Exceptions to override your active profile. The downside is that if you ever need to use the vibrate profile, your exceptions will override it and thus still make a sound when the people you have configured send you a text.

First, you'll need to create a unique profile for each person/group of persons to whom you want to assign a custom sms tone.
    1. Profiles -> Scroll down to Advanced
    2. BB Menu key -> New Profile
    3. Name the profile whatever you want (ex. Person's name you're creating the profile for)
    4. Set the SMS Text tone (and other tones) in your new profile to whatever you want
    5. Save the Profile
    6. Repeat steps 2-5 until you've created unique profiles for everyone to whom you want to assign a custom sound.
    7. BB Menu key -> New Exception
    8. Name the exception similar to how you named each profile
    9. Move to the "From" field and select "Add Name"
    10. Navigate to the person in your address book to whom you want to assign the custom text/sms tone and select them
    11. Move to the "Use Profile" field, and select the Profile you created earlier that corresponds to the Exception and select it
    12. Save the exception
    13. Repeat steps 7-12 until you've created unique exceptions to correspond with each unique profile that you created earlier
    Last edited by bonebox; 07-07-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Anela808 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    4M32KN0W
    thanks bonebox, that is really helpful. i always wanted to do this so i know who is texting without even looking at the phone. that way if im busy i know, depending on who it is, if the message can wait or not

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Not a Bad little Tip there bone. Altho opposite of what Anela Does. I just dont answer my Texts anyways. =P

Noah0504 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31ADF0A2
    It still would b easier if you could just set a custom SMS tone for separate contacts like you can for phone calls. Maybe in 4.6? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Anela808 View Post
    thanks bonebox, that is really helpful. i always wanted to do this so i know who is texting without even looking at the phone. that way if im busy i know, depending on who it is, if the message can wait or not
    No prob! I'm glad at least someone found it useful

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    And I thought I was the only one who used that convoluted way to set unique sounds for Pins, SMS, etc

Quote Originally Posted by TorturedNacho View Post
    Not a Bad little Tip there bone. Altho opposite of what Anela Does. I just dont answer my Texts anyways. =P
    I prefer that method too

Quote Originally Posted by Noah0504 View Post
    It still would b easier if you could just set a custom SMS tone for separate contacts like you can for phone calls. Maybe in 4.6? Haha.
    Oh, for sure! I'm not holding my breath until they add it, though...

Quote Originally Posted by kieranwest View Post
    And I thought I was the only one who used that convoluted way to set unique sounds for Pins, SMS, etc
    Lol, convoluted indeed! I honestly don't even actually use it I just came across it a long time ago when I was playing with profiles. I use the vibrate profile way too often and this doesn't play nice with that at all.

panda420 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bonebox View Post
    There isn't really a good way of doing this via the stock BlackBerry OS, although there may be a 3rd party app that allows this. If so, I'm not aware of one. That said, there is a "trick" I found for doing it via Profiles, but it's not as simple as assigning a custom ringtone. Basically it uses Profile Exceptions to override your active profile. The downside is that if you ever need to use the vibrate profile, your exceptions will override it and thus still make a sound when the people you have configured send you a text.

First, you'll need to create a unique profile for each person/group of persons to whom you want to assign a custom sms tone.
    1. Profiles -> Scroll down to Advanced
    2. BB Menu key -> New Profile
    3. Name the profile whatever you want (ex. Person's name you're creating the profile for)
    4. Set the SMS Text tone (and other tones) in your new profile to whatever you want
    5. Save the Profile
    6. Repeat steps 2-5 until you've created unique profiles for everyone to whom you want to assign a custom sound.
    7. BB Menu key -> New Exception
    8. Name the exception similar to how you named each profile
    9. Move to the "From" field and select "Add Name"
    10. Navigate to the person in your address book to whom you want to assign the custom text/sms tone and select them
    11. Move to the "Use Profile" field, and select the Profile you created earlier that corresponds to the Exception and select it
    12. Save the exception
    13. Repeat steps 7-12 until you've created unique exceptions to correspond with each unique profile that you created earlier
    Okay I tried this like a billion ways and can't get it to work. I did it step for step but it still won't play the exception for some reason. Could my profiles be messed up or is there another setting I could have set or am I just dumb? Can someone help me this would be awesome!