hi! i am new to all this! for business reasones i need to have different ... General Blackberry forum

nbm
    nbm no está en línea Stack level 1

different ringtones for sms and voicemail on pearl HELP!

Advertisement

hi! i am new to all this! for business reasones i need to have different ringtones for incomming voice message versus incoming text messages for this reason att advised me to get the pearl and not the curve.. i was successful in downloading different tunes and placed them in the proper places i.e. under ringtones for sms vs messages and yet the same music plays for both. also i hid certain non important icons and they r back but via a shadow! this blackberry seems to be taking up too too much time. thanks

8800bruin no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: different ringtones for sms and voicemail on pearl HELP!

I have the Curve and mine does the same thing. Here is my theory as to why. Voicemail notification is sent over SMS (text message) to the phone. The Message choice under your profiles is for your incoming emails messages. So when your phone gets a text message or voicemail, it will notify you via the same system, which will trigger the SMS Text sound effect. Every Blackberry I had before my Curve worked the same way in this respect.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Quote Originally Posted by nbm
    also i hid certain non important icons and they r back but via a shadow! this blackberry seems to be taking up too too much time. thanks
    Click on the Menu button (the button to the left of the trackwheel) and uncheck "Show All" to get rid of the hidden icons still showing up.

As far as taking too much time, Blackberries are a little more complex than a regular phone, so the learning curve is a little steeper. That being said, because of this they are very customizable to your needs and usages.

Use the stacks as your database/reference. You can find out anything you need to know in here.

Welcome to our community!
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

tmobilemike no está en línea Stack level 1

ok guys

Goto ringer profiles menu
    Scroll down to advanced (click )

hit the bb menu button
    highlight and click add exception
    Name you exception( this would be the person who you want a customized tone for)
    next in the field that says from click the ball and click on add
    in your phone book find the individual who you want
    click on then

Next add tone

Save

hope this helps

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Typically with any blackberry. Sms is bundled together like bruin8800 stated earlier. There isn't a way to seperate the two unless you don't do sms at all. But that would be just dumb. The pearl and the curve are set up the same way. I just think the representative wasn't to sure. Unless there is a secret your carrier has that they aren't telling anyone. Sorry for the bad news. However welcome to the stacks. If you need anything else let us know. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Welcome to pinstack!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

nbm
    nbm no está en línea Stack level 1

well guys i must thank you... i thought i was gonna lose my mind! i can not believe that 2 store managers in 2 different corporate cell service stores sold me on this pearl knowing what i needed with regard to the voicemail vs. sms and they steered me clear of the curve that would have been a bit easier to text with stating that "only the pearl has the different ringtone capacity". being that i can not touch my phone while operating this is a major problem. i did indeed set up exceptions(thanks tmobilemike) but it does not work for sms but rather only for ringtones on the phone. i was able to rehide the icons (thanks latufu). i will keep the bb but now need to get a phone for the o.r. which really bothers me. in terms of loading up on themes and ringtones i have no clue as to how to do this or even set up my email with hotmail! but i must admit that it is a sheer pleasure to have a forum such as this. thanks again!

calienfj no está en línea Stack level 1

I have a pearl with at&t service and have them seperate. Now, you can seperate out SMS into a seperate inbox. With that said, there is a fairly simple self-fix process you can go through. Go into messages > general options > SMS & email boxes: SEPERATE. After doing that, there will be a new "SMS" icon on your home screen. If you do NOT see this option your BB operating system needs to be updated. I've never tried but I'm pretty sure if you bring your Pearl back to the service provider they can update the device software for you.

Presuming they don't do that:
    blackberry.com/btsc/articles/853/KB03621_f.SAL_Public.html

The BB device software needs to be downloaded form your providers website - make sure to get the latest version which should be v4.2.x.x. if you are unsure, the store can probably download onto a USB drive for you.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    Quote Originally Posted by calienfj
    I have a pearl with at&t service and have them seperate. Now, you can seperate out SMS into a seperate inbox. With that said, there is a fairly simple self-fix process you can go through. Go into messages > general options > SMS & email boxes: SEPERATE. After doing that, there will be a new "SMS" icon on your home screen. If you do NOT see this option your BB operating system needs to be updated. I've never tried but I'm pretty sure if you bring your Pearl back to the service provider they can update the device software for you.

Presuming they don't do that:
    blackberry.com/btsc/articles/853/KB03621_f.SAL_Public.html

The BB device software needs to be downloaded form your providers website - make sure to get the latest version which should be v4.2.x.x. if you are unsure, the store can probably download onto a USB drive for you.
    Yeah that's an update to the software. It allows you to either split the emails from you sms. Or you can set it up to be theme controlled. Etc. That's a good point you do bring up.

Notorious170 no está en línea Stack level 3

but that still doesnt seperate his voicemail ringer from his sms ringer.

just seperates his sms messages from his email messages.