Well blackberry is a java based OS, so therefore cant one just install a third ... General Blackberry forum

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38

Different OS

Advertisement

Well blackberry is a java based OS, so therefore cant one just install a third pary OS on the device, i know blackberry just works and all, but is there any development of the third party OS thats going on? Because something open source in my opinion is just a better thing, althou i do support comercial software, an open source ability is just much better.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: Different OS

I doubt it can be done without going in and rewriting the CMOS also. You have to remember that the blackberry line was designed with security in the foremost thought throughout the entire design process. The US Government is the largest user of Blackberry devices in the world and that is one thing they do require of rim. If you are interested in an open source OS you might tinker with Symbian on the Nokia phones.

Zo

PIN/ID
    232D8D38

Yeah, i guess, but i am still waiting untill new years, palm is supposed to launch the new palm OS devices with open source firmware. Still in my opinion, blackberry is little or not secure, it is pretty much at the level of windows mobile 5, the only difference is the stability.

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

That will actually be interesting if they do since they just bought the source code back from Access. I know Access is working on an Open Source Mobile Linux that will be 100% compatible with palm OS software (they reverse engineered the source code when they bought it from Palm Software prior to reselling it back to Palm Hardware). Not sure what manufacturers are signing up behind Access to use it on their devices though.

And as for security, the actual OS itself is extremely secure when not compromised by 3rd party applications. The nice thing is that on a BES it is the most secure device available for using on a wireless network since the BES can actually lock everything down in the phone and wipe it remotely. To me the addition of the memory card (as nice as it is) is a big security hole in the new BB's. I am interested in seeing what type of security they install in the new units as organizations realize the hole that is there and request that RIM find a way to guard it. Yes, I know that the SD card is no different than a flash drive when it comes to security, but it is there.

Zo.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

You may need to look into the Blackberry OS again if you think its not secure as most. I don't know of any WM devices that offer content protection, built in firewalls, or application permissions at the OS level. Not to mention how many functions you can disable via IT Policy. The Blackberry platform has to be at the top if not the most secure mobile business platform.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

If it isn't secure then governments and large security conscious corporations wouldn't be buying them by the thousands, would they?

PIN/ID
    232D8D38

Hmm interesting point, as OS comes it is secure as windows mobile in my opinion, just the bonus is that os already comes with all the features, but its interesting, i did not know that all of that is posible to do from BES, i guess i am wrong, i havent used bes much nor i need it, but all ther extra security features BES offers are quite incredible. I guess in the end Blackberry is secure, thatnks for enlightening me

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub
    If it isn't secure then governments and large security conscious corporations wouldn't be buying them by the thousands, would they?
    ...they're part of the government but it's worth pointing out the military uses them as well due to the BB's security features.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneKam
    i did not know that all of that is posible to do from BES
    Don't sweat it. Most people aren't aware of all the features and advantages of BES. Most people stop considering it once they realize that they have to pay more (in most cases) for a BES data plan and then pay for BES as well.

I just did a wipe and full restore of everything (including bookmarks, call logs, you name it) in just two steps. That's not possible with BIS since you don't get wireless backups and restores.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-29-2007 at 11:46 AM.

PIN/ID
    232D8D38

Man i need a job where i will be "forced" to use BES :P

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Glad we were able to enlighten you to the wonderful security built into every Blackberry.

Zo

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re : Re: Different OS

Quote Originally Posted by GeneKam
    Man i need a job where i will be "forced" to use BES :P
    But BES can also monitor pin so the IT could read eveything you wrote by PIN
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r