Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, My organisation is starting to roll out the Pearl and Curve as their choice ... General Blackberry forum

zoe_h no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Differences between Pearl & Curve?

Advertisement

Hi,

My organisation is starting to roll out the Pearl and Curve as their choice BB devices. I'd like to know if there are any major differences them?

The differences I've heard of so far:
    • Keyboard: Querty v SureType keypad
    • Headset: Curve has 3.5mm headset jack, Pearl smaller?
    • Camera: Pearl 1.3mp v Curve 2.0mp
    • Battery: Curve slightly longer lasting?
    • Media player: I've also heard the media player is different, but not sure how or which is better.
    • Pearl is smaller and looks a lot better!
    Any input greatly received!

jaythestar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Re: Differences between Pearl & Curve?

Quote Originally Posted by zoe_h
    • Pearl is smaller and looks a lot better!
    *drops dead* Curve looks waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better.

banthon no está en línea Stack level 3

AW: Differences between Pearl & Curve?

Head set:
    --> Pearl 2,5mm,
    --> Curve 3,5mm
    Firmware
    --> Pearl 4.2.1.x
    --> Curve 4.2.2.x with enhanced media player (4.3 to come in Oct/Nov. for both devices)
    Navigation
    --> Pearl multicolor LED below the Pearl (--> color pearl)
    --> "ordinary" white pearl

Maybe you should aware that the Pearl 2 is coming out real soon.

Shel no está en línea Stack level 3

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... more pixels, slightly better media player, blah blah blah...

Here's all you really need to know....

Color Pearl works with the Pearl, doesn't work on the Curve!

Period. End of sentence. Case closed.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You can compare features side-by-side with the comparison tool at Blackberry.com. From a corporate standpoint the keyboard is really going to be the major difference for your users. Regardless of the difference in MP, they're both pretty typically mediocre cell phone cameras.

The BB build we use has been set up to not allow coloured LED trackball :-( I heard the new Pearl2 may be out in Autumn but very much doubt it'll be introduced in this organisation.

We've gone from 8700g and 7130 which seemed a straight comparison purely based on keyboard and looks, to Curve and Pearl as the choices for new starters. There seem to be more differences making that choice all the more difficult to advise!!!

According to the BlackBerry.com comparison the Pearl supports stereo headet but not the Curve - is that right?! But then I'm not sure I totally trust it as it also seems to say that the Pearl does not have a colour display...

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

A blackberry is an email device (for the most part). Advertising it as something else (e.g., certain type of media player, stereo vs. monaurual headset, etc) does a disservice, IMO. Give them the best tool to do their job, period.

My take on suretype devices has always been the following (flame me if you are so inclined):
    A suretype device is for someone who either wants (or perhaps thinks he or she wants) a blackberry), but either thinks the QWERTY models are 1. too big, 2. too expensive, 3. too ugly (nondiscreet) looking, or 4. far too big for checking the occasional email during casual use. This is basically what a T-Mo U.S. rep told me in 2004.
    I do advise heavy users to stick with the QWERTY models, if at all possible, unless the user is commited to practicing suretype.

This is my opinion. Other opinions will vary and there are countless suretype advocates for the suretype devices (many of whom could opt for a full QWERTY, but don't, and actually prefer not too). Many of these advocates are just as heavy of email users as the qwerty (it no so more in some cases). YMMV.

PS: on a side note, I've never once felt embarrassed to whip out a QWERTY BlackBerry in any social situation. If anything people look at you 'like you 'da the man or somebody else equally important. Though, I imagine, it's more fascination over seeing a phone with a full keyboard, since most people don't see them on a daily basis. I often get comments like "my boss has one of those" or "my company owner has one of those". And on the flip side, when I see someone whip out a pearl, I just have to tease them. "Couldn't deal with a full size keyboard, huh?". LOL. It's all in good jest!
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

toymachinejg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24232f19

The blackberry all the way!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The blackberry curve all the way!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by toymachinejg; 08-13-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Automerged.

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Imo, the only two things you need to look at.

-keyboard
    -price, if you are no where near a decsion, pick the cheaper one.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aroc
    A blackberry is an email device (for the most part). Advertising it as something else (e.g., certain type of media player, stereo vs. monaurual headset, etc) does a disservice, IMO. Give them the best tool to do their job, period.

My take on suretype devices has always been the following (flame me if you are so inclined):

I do advise heavy users to stick with the QWERTY models, if at all possible, unless the user is commited to practicing suretype.

This is my opinion. Other opinions will vary and there are countless suretype advocates for the suretype devices (many of whom could opt for a full QWERTY, but don't, and actually prefer not too). Many of these advocates are just as heavy of email users as the qwerty (it no so more in some cases). YMMV.

PS: on a side note, I've never once felt embarrassed to whip out a QWERTY BlackBerry in any social situation. If anything people look at you 'like you 'da the man or somebody else equally important. Though, I imagine, it's more fascination over seeing a phone with a full keyboard, since most people don't see them on a daily basis. I often get comments like "my boss has one of those" or "my company owner has one of those". And on the flip side, when I see someone whip out a pearl, I just have to tease them. "Couldn't deal with a full size keyboard, huh?". LOL. It's all in good jest!
    I always knew I wanted a better device after having devices that never could keep a signal (I have a long history with sidekicks and WM devices).

However, after a horrible experience with 2 7730 devices, I needed something smaller and easier to manage (I'm sure I wouldn't have said this if I had a chance to get my hands on a 7290).

I needed a device I could email, text, chat and browse from but also small enough that I'd want to use it as a phone. However I have limited places for a holster or case to go (a backpack or pouch are my only choices).

The 7100T's and 7105T's served me well until they crashed or broke.

My Pearl covers all areas I need and still gives me the portability I require. And when others see it, they want one.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote: A suretype device is for someone who either wants (or perhaps thinks he or she wants) a blackberry), but either thinks the QWERTY models are 1. too big,

I had a 7730, 7100t and 7105t before my Pearl.

2. too expensive,

I only paid full price for 4 of my 10 BB

3. too ugly (nondiscreet) looking,
    I loved the look of every BB I have owned. I just wish my 950 had a color screen.

4. far too big for checking the occasional email during casual use.

I agree but also felt that about my 7730 but it was because I didn't want to hold a waffle next to my ear to talk on the phone.

This is basically what a T-Mo U.S. rep told me in 2004.

Its all about personal preference. Not what a rep thinks you should have.

Thanks for the input, it's great to get your opinions. Fortunatly I won't be in a position to be giving new starters advice on their choice, nor need to worry about cost as they are already being supplied - but I will be giving the info to the people that will be helping individuals make the choice.

Generally i'd say if you mainly use the BB for the phone, but occasionaly use email get the 7130/ pearl. If you use it to check emails and occasionally use the phone get the 8700/ Curve. The problem comes when people use both phone and email heavily and are concerned about it looking good and fitting in their pocket or handbag! That's when the other differences (e.g better camera, media player etc) can influence the decision.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It's really a mater of personal preference. Those are good guidelines but it really comes down to asking the BB user "can you really stand or do you prefer SureType?". Odds are that most won't know without giving it a shot first...

Kriv no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    251239B6

Only difference really is what the end user prefers?

As I have treetrunks for fingers I have real trouble with the full keyboard when typing at speed. The sure type pad on the other hand, is much quicker.

Why not give them a demo, with a day using each phone?

Other than that the differences between the phones is minimal, especially for business use.

via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

New7250 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    300D0907

biggest difference:

the Curve is freaking sexy

whereas the pearl is way too small, and basically NOT sexy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast