Hi, Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I can't find the answer ... General Blackberry forum

fwellers no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242219FB

difference in rebooting methods

Advertisement

Hi,
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I can't find the answer no matter how hard I search.
    Can someone explain the difference between the 3 methods of shutting/rebooting that I know about ?

1) Using the shut button ( I believe this one is just a soft reboot )
    The main ones I am wondering about, are 2 and 3

2) Alt-Cap-H

3) Battery Pull.

Thanks,
    Floyd
    People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
    Peace,
    Floyd

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: difference in rebooting methods

Not sure what you mena by the "shut button", but if you mean the button on the top right edge of the device - also the Mute button, that just puts the device in sleep mode.

On my 8800, [Alt][Cap][H] brings up an information screen (help?) with info like Vendor ID, Platform and App version, etc.

There is [Alt][Cap][Del], but I've never found it to be reliable (although it just worked perfectly - of course!).

The Battery Pull is the only absolutely reliable full reboot that I'm aware of.
    JerryD

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

disconnect / red button will just power off the unit, kinda like hibernation in windows.

alt-cap-h , ive never heard about

Battery Pull: This will make the phone boot everything. As it never gets the possibility to save the current applications.

I can recomend a program called Softreset if you want to have an application reboot for you.
    Have a look at this site if your interested: http://www.geekandproud.net/blackberry-software/
    Last edited by Sci-Tek; 01-09-2008 at 09:31 AM.

PIN/ID
    242219FB

Thanks.
    You're right, I'm sorry, I meant Alt-Cap-Delete.
    Not really interested in a program to do it, just wanted to know the differences.

On my 8820, it's the top left button ( not mute ). On my pearl it's the red key. So those just put it to sleep, same as putting it in a holster. OK.

but I guess I still want to know whether alt-cap-del is the same as a battery pull. Because if it is, then I would use it in place of a battery pull, since it's easier and less intrusive to do than a battery pull.

Thanks !
    floyd
    People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
    Peace,
    Floyd

o1sowise no está en línea Stack level 3

lots of discussion about this recently...

PIN/ID
    242219FB

Yea I've seen that thread. It really doesn't cover it the way I am wanting.

Thanks.
    Floyd
    Peace,
    Floyd