Okay, this may have been covered before, but I couldn't find it, and I am ... General Blackberry forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Difference in Batteries...

Advertisement

Okay, this may have been covered before, but I couldn't find it, and I am not 110% sure about this, so I am throwing it out there.

How interchangeable are batteries in these devices?

Here's what I have sitting on my desk in front of me right now:
    1 battery from a 7105
    1 battery from an 8700
    2 batteries from an 8100.

Now, here are the specs on the batteries that are actually written on the batteries:

7105: Black Battery: C-S1, 3.7V
    8700: Blue Battery: C-S2 with a lock on it, 3.7V
    8100: Yellow Battery, C-M2 with a lock on it, 3.7V

Now, the 8700 and 7105 battery seem to be the same size...The 8100 battery is the same in all dimensions except the width (it is just a tad bit skinnier than the others.

If I put the 8100 battery in the 8700, it works obviously and turns on and vice versa with the other batteries.

My question is, does anyone know where I can look to find the exact specs on each battery? I searched the RIM website, but it's kind of hard to find something specific as this over there.

My battery in the 8700 is starting to suck juice like crazy, and rather than having to purchase another one, I am trying to decide whether or not I could just swap batteries out. I just don't want to do it without researching first, then all of a sudden the 8700 start smoking and making electrical frying sounds and then blow up.

Thoughts?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    N8, I've read, when the 8700 first came out that the 8700 battery would work in a 71xx, (not sure which one) but not the other way round.

I bought a second Battery for my 8700, just in case, but even though they have the same number they are slightly different in the sides, but not the size. I would be hesitant to use either of the others, one due to the fact it doesn't have the lock which I think has to do with the smarts for charging/recogintion and the other due to size and sliding back and forth.

Just my thoughts
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Well I put a pearl battery in the 8700 just to look, like I said, it will boot up and all, so TECHNICALLY it works, just not too sure how safe it is...Since the pearl battery is skinnier than the 8700 battery, it was a little bit of a pain to take out.

So I guess, it will work, i just want to know how safe it is, or if there are other diefferences that anyone knows of.

God knows I don't need to have my berry on Dateline NBC like the Dell computers were talking about how the batteries are defective and will blow up the device in your hand or melt it.

I

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    Here is some input... I have a 7100i and an 8703e, and the batteries are interchangeable and work fine. I now have two batteries I carry so I am never without juice.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    cp, Does the 7100t battery charge correctly in the 8700e? I heard that they were only one way compatible. What is the number and lock image of the 7100t battery?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    3056468b
    I have had the 7100i battery in the 8703e for a week to two weeks now, and it charges great. I get great time out of this battery. Both are C-S2 closed lock.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    If they have the same codes they are the same, and therefore interchangeable. Now that you mention it, I think I remember hearing about RIM shipping new 7100s with the same battery as the 8700. Stands to reason that they would want to limit the different battery types.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

dsw274 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Re: Difference in Batteries...

how do i know a batteries is really genuine ?

i see a locked lock, but how can I be sure. it seems pretty easy to duplicate something like that.

PIN/ID
    3056468b

I tried to use my 7100i battery in my new 8830 but it doesnt work. I can however put my 8830 battery in the 8703 and the 7100i.

cubus no está en línea Stack level 3

As a short answer to you.
    Most of the times you need to look for voltage output only, as current is "adjusted" by the device. Meaning, if the hardware needs more power, it will draw more current, not more voltage (reminder, Power=Voltage*Current).
    A battery _will not_ "over-current" by itself, it can only limit the current output. Then your cell could be only "in power starvation" mode, which is slower and darker but safe.
    If the voltage is too high that's when the frying begins... :-)

Go ahead and play with batteries, but if something happens, don't sue me ;-)
    I work on fuel cells, which behave slightly different = kick batteries' butt. lol
    Last edited by cubus; 10-23-2007 at 12:02 AM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Okay, this may have been covered before, but I couldn't find it, and I am not 110% sure about this, so I am throwing it out there.

How interchangeable are batteries in these devices?

Here's what I have sitting on my desk in front of me right now:
    1 battery from a 7105
    1 battery from an 8700
    2 batteries from an 8100.

Now, here are the specs on the batteries that are actually written on the batteries:

7105: Black Battery: C-S1, 3.7V
    8700: Blue Battery: C-S2 with a lock on it, 3.7V
    8100: Yellow Battery, C-M2 with a lock on it, 3.7V

Now, the 8700 and 7105 battery seem to be the same size...The 8100 battery is the same in all dimensions except the width (it is just a tad bit skinnier than the others.

If I put the 8100 battery in the 8700, it works obviously and turns on and vice versa with the other batteries.

My question is, does anyone know where I can look to find the exact specs on each battery? I searched the RIM website, but it's kind of hard to find something specific as this over there.

My battery in the 8700 is starting to suck juice like crazy, and rather than having to purchase another one, I am trying to decide whether or not I could just swap batteries out. I just don't want to do it without researching first, then all of a sudden the 8700 start smoking and making electrical frying sounds and then blow up.

Thoughts?
    I have had all BB models except the 8700g so I don't know which battery will or will not work in it BUT here are results from my 7100t, 7105t (when I had one) and my 8100 Pearl:

C-M2 yellow battery from 8100 WILL work in 7105t (I tried it in a 7100t)

C-S1 black battery from 7105t will NOT work in 8100 (it boots up but shows the battery icon with a slash mark thru it) so it probably won't work in the 8700.

C-S2 blue battery from 7105t WILL work in 8100.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Well I put a pearl battery in the 8700 just to look, like I said, it will boot up and all, so TECHNICALLY it works, just not too sure how safe it is...Since the pearl battery is skinnier than the 8700 battery, it was a little bit of a pain to take out.
    That happened to me when I tried to take the blue and black batteries out of the 8100.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

my 7100i and 7130e batteries will work in a pearl but none of them work in my 8830