I forgot and left my 8700c connected via USB cable to my (always on) office ... General Blackberry forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Did USB charging kill the Battery of my 8700c?

Advertisement

I forgot and left my 8700c connected via USB cable to my (always on) office computer for three weeks, while on a business trip.

Returned today, uplugged it and it would not boot up. Removed the battery, installed my spare and the 8700c operates perfectly.

Did I kill the battery by overcharging via the USB connnection to the computer? Or is there a possibility that it will "recover" after sitting out for some time?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Re: Did USB charging kill the Battery of my 8700c?

My guess is yes since a usb cable wouldn't have a feature to curtail overcharging but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I just used the "tech chat" online feature offered by Cingular. The rep said that leaving the BB connected via USB to your computer for any amount of time is OK.

Interestingly, he said that when using the wall charger, you should unplug it after 5 hours. This is info they have from RIM, anything more than that will reduce the overall battery life.

In addition, he did say that its very common for people to leave their BB's connected to the wall charger overnight and that it does not seem to present a problem. I found it refreshing that they are candid and do not seem to be prone to place blame on the customer.

In my case a replacement battery is being sent at no charge to me under warranty.

Cheers.....

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

That's a great result. I don't know about overcharging from the USB port. One would think either way you charge it the BB should stop charging once its full.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

on a standard wall charger it will keep your battery at 99-100% full without letting the battery over charge/ overheat. but on a usb its continuous charge untill you take it off so the battery will over charge and over heat essentially killing the battery. and making it not last long while in use.

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3

Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX
    on a standard wall charger it will keep your battery at 99-100% full without letting the battery over charge/ overheat. but on a usb its continuous charge untill you take it off so the battery will over charge and over heat essentially killing the battery. and making it not last long while in use.
    I tend to agree more with what you say, but that contradicts what the rep told archer.

Either way, I thought that the BB had a built in feature to prevent overcharging, but I guess I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wxboss
    I tend to agree more with what you say, but that contradicts what the rep told archer.

Either way, I thought that the BB had a built in feature to prevent overcharging, but I guess I was wrong.
    I am continuing to do further research on this just for my own information which I will share here. The theory of USB charging from (in my case) a laptop port, is that the current delivery is not enough to overheat and impact the battery. I'm connecting my BB to my ThinkPad which initially displays a dialog box saying that there is not enough voltage to operate this device, then after just a moment or so, that warning goes away.

The point that you bring up, frankly I forgot about and that is if indeed the BB has circuit protection to prevent overcharging. Or if that is built into the wall charger, Or if it's absent altogether.

Anyway, bottom line, it presents an opportunity to learn more about my BB's.

Cheers....

wully no está en línea Stack level 1

I believe I killed the battery on my 7100G after using a Motorola Charger for a week while in a crunch. It still worked afterwards, but my battery never lasted more than a few hours. I would guess the Motorola chargers aren't as smart as the RIM ones, either.

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    I am continuing to do further research on this just for my own information which I will share here. The theory of USB charging from (in my case) a laptop port, is that the current delivery is not enough to overheat and impact the battery. I'm connecting my BB to my ThinkPad which initially displays a dialog box saying that there is not enough voltage to operate this device, then after just a moment or so, that warning goes away.

The point that you bring up, frankly I forgot about and that is if indeed the BB has circuit protection to prevent overcharging. Or if that is built into the wall charger, Or if it's absent altogether.

Anyway, bottom line, it presents an opportunity to learn more about my BB's.

Cheers....
    Let us know your findings. As having owned many mobile phones over the years, I would always read the documentation pertaining to charging each phone closely as each manufacturer had different recommendations. Some would plainly state that you could leave the charger hooked up to the phone for long periods without issue, and others would state just the opposite.

The documentation for my BB was strangely silent in this area, so I wasn't sure what to think when it came to this issue.