Last November I switched from Nextel to Sprint to upgrade my Blackberry from a 7100 ... General Blackberry forum

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Device email address

Advertisement

Last November I switched from Nextel to Sprint to upgrade my Blackberry from a 7100 without paying an ETF. After the switch I tried to set up my device email as username@sprint.blackberry.net.
    I had used the same address with Nextel after the buyout and I always get an error message that the address is in use. I assume it is still in use by my Nextel account, which should have been deleted and I would like to get this email address tranferred to my sprint account.
    Any ideas? I'm not even sure if Sprint or RIM controls these addresses so I'm not sure where to start looking or calling.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Denisenicole no está en línea Stack level 3
    Have you spoken to anyone from Sprint or Nextel? Seems to me that would be the first step. When I was initially setting up my data plan, I told my service provider what username I wanted and they could tell me whether it was already in use, seems to me they would be able to guide you on what you can and can't transfer.

mcky no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by alryder View Post
    Last November I switched from Nextel to Sprint to upgrade my Blackberry from a 7100 without paying an ETF. After the switch I tried to set up my device email as username@sprint.blackberry.net.
    I had used the same address with Nextel after the buyout and I always get an error message that the address is in use. I assume it is still in use by my Nextel account, which should have been deleted and I would like to get this email address tranferred to my sprint account.
    Any ideas? I'm not even sure if Sprint or RIM controls these addresses so I'm not sure where to start looking or calling.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    What i would recommend is for u to log into ure BIS "https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=sprint" got to change device and update ure info with the new PIN & (or) ESN> save. Then Go to "service books" and "send service books". This should allowed all (existing) email account to be send to ure new berry.
    Let me know if this works.

icuqtpie no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Hey I am a wireless web rep with sprint/nextel you have to call us an we will get it cleared for you!

mcky no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by icuqtpie View Post

Hey I am a wireless web rep with sprint/nextel you have to call us an we will get it cleared for you!
    Thanks for clearing that up...

Cracked Out no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Pls!
    I was told that it wasn't possible. I switched from the 7100 to the curve and so I used the same e-mail and added a few numbers. It was a small hassle though.

Quote Originally Posted by icuqtpie View Post

I tried calling customer service and the first person I reached was not even aware that Blackberry's have an email address. I tried a second time and the person I spoke with stated that taking my device email from my Nextel account to my Sprint account is impossible because that address is "locked" forever.
    Is there a special number to call or department to ask for? I believe that this can be done (or I want to believe so ) but I need to find the right person.
    Thanks for your reply!

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Honestly you have to find the correct person who can release the device pin. Unfortunately all reps won't even know what you are talking about. I had to call AT&T 4 times last week until I got someone who could release it. Try asking for blackberry support when you call in, you may get someone knowledgeable.

boricua no está en línea Stack level 3
    What you are needing is called a hosted email swap. The BlackBerry email address has to be released from the old account before it can be used on a different account. You will have to call your carrier first and they will transfer you to a RIM representative to have it released.

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    Quote Originally Posted by alryder View Post
    I tried calling customer service and the first person I reached was not even aware that Blackberry's have an email address. I tried a second time and the person I spoke with stated that taking my device email from my Nextel account to my Sprint account is impossible because that address is "locked" forever.
    Is there a special number to call or department to ask for? I believe that this can be done (or I want to believe so ) but I need to find the right person.
    Thanks for your reply!

yes you called the wrong place lol call 877-654-9111 they can help u
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Insert catchy phrase here..

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Yep has to be done by RIM rep

Thanks to everyone for your help!
    I called the number suggested by mserica and a rep released the email address from my old Nextel account but when he tried to add it to my sprint account he got the same message I do, that the address is in use. He tried several things but nothing helped. Does this address also need to be released by RIM or does something else need to happen?
    I'm so close to this happening, I just need a little extra push!

Thanks again!

Now I'm getting a bit frustrated. I was still not able to register my sprint.blackberry.net password today so I called 877-654-9111 again and spoke with another rep.
    This time I was told that because Nextel and Sprint's servers are separate, a Sprint rep has no way to release the old email address from Nextel. The rep also claimed that after 90-120 days of inactivity RIM will release the address anyways. When I pointed out that my Nextel account has been inactive for 10 months the rep just stated that he cannot help me.
    Should my next step be to contact RIM? If I email the sprint.blackberry.net address I want the email bounces and the bounce message says "Mailbox disabled for this recipient" so it does not appear that the email address is really in use by anyone.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.