Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by danmonline@gmai I have friends that have XP SP2 and have installed on ... General Blackberry forum

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Re: Desktop Manager MM "Certificate error"

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by danmonline@gmai View Post
    I have friends that have XP SP2 and have installed on several systems with no problems. My system runs fine otherwise. I agree that XP has thousands of components, and its staggering overall. My coding projects have proven to me that this can be a monster. I primarily worked in VB.

I agree that the support from suppliers has become very limited in the last 10years. It does not hurt to ask. Maybe they would listen. It would be good PR. Considering the size of the subscribership to pinstack.com it would not hurt.

I looked at the programs, etc. in ...Program FIles/Roxio with FileAlyzer from Safer Networking. It has a show strings option for executables. It did not find the word "certificate" in any of the files. I suspect the program/object generating the certificate error is elsewhere. Thought this may lead to some clues.

The plot thickens.

Be thankful your system is not Vista.

BTW, do you have ALL the dot-NETs involved (if any)?... 1.1, 2.0 ...? Each is a world unto itself; they are neither upwards nor downwards redundant.

Good choice, Filealyzer ; Patrick's programs are impressively good.

For quite some time the strings Filealyzer found were ASCII strings... I found out by scrolling through text and noticing yet-unseen UTF stuff: pathnames or full Registry keys, appearing "double -spaced", of course.

Don't look for "Certificate", look for "Thawte", "Verisign", "Root"... Check the tail-end of any file that does involve certificates.

Also, in XP there is a rich assortment of Support Tools and Reskit Tools. Notably,

depends

,the Dependency Walker. Can be VERY useful. And others that rely on it, eg the DLL analysis one.

danmonline no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Re: Desktop Manager MM "Certificate error"

Ran Dependency walker. It found DWMAPI.DLL missing. I downloade it from dll-files.com. Rescanning with Dependency walker shows it found now but a couple of I/O functions missing/unresolved.

Sysinternals says this is a so-what, but I installed it anyway to confirm. The Certificate Error in MM persists. Any more ideas?

Thanks, that was a good suggestion.

Question Re: Desktop Manager MM "Certificate error"

In fact Thawte and Verisign are found as strings in MediaManager9.exe. The error message is not. One conclusion is that the certificate error message is from another component called by MM.

If a Roxio certificate is suppose to be registered in the Trusted Root Certificate area then I guess this could be a cause.

Why is it not there after install in my case? How do I add it? Assuming this is the issue.

I see that the certificates are there for other Suppliers like Adobe. Clearly added by Adobe.

Thumbs up Re: Desktop Manager MM "Certificate error"

Finally got it going. I decided to try the blind install once again. I found that the clean install instructions from Blackberry were incomplete for my system. There was another registry key Sonic Solutions that needed to be removed as well as those for Roxio and Sonic that were recommended.

Also, the notes I found did not have complete pathnames to the directories to remove. That was clearly just an oversight.

I am still unclear why these conditions would generate a certificate error. I would like to know, if that information is available.

Maybe there is a precedence list like a web server start page list. A file and directory was selected by the MM program that was a remenant not containing a certificate for use. This is just a wild guess.

Thanks to all who guided me through this. I will try to return the favor as I become more familiar with the BB. I'm going through all the menus and doc. very regularly.
    Last edited by danmonline; 02-19-2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Mark Closed.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Re: Desktop Manager MM "Certificate error"

Quote Originally Posted by danmonline@gmai View Post
    Ran Dependency walker. It found DWMAPI.DLL missing. I downloade it from dll-files.com. Rescanning with Dependency walker shows it found now but a couple of I/O functions missing/unresolved.

Sysinternals says this is a so-what, but I installed it anyway to confirm. The Certificate Error in MM persists. Any more ideas?

Thanks, that was a good suggestion.

You are welcome.

Glad you solved it overall. Yes, I have Sonic Solutions on some machines and it tends to throw in some rogue stuff. Not the only such company, by any means... This is common in Sound- and other Media- apps, where lots of roads cross!

Thumbs up Ultimately resolved.

I was looking through my posts recently. I did resolve this eventually. I thought it may be useful to others to annotate this post.

I found that my system had a remnant of another Roxio (Sonic Solutions) product on it, in addition to the Roxio Media Manager. This was causing the certificate error message and blocking MM use.

I manually removed these directories, and did a full DM and MM removal. A reinstall of DM with MM then succeeded.

It would help if Roxio and/or RIM would make the error messages clearer.
    Web Developer
    Windows/UNIX/Linux

eastend no está en línea Stack level 1
    tough one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12