I installed 4.5 on a new computer w/windows xp home edition. I cannot put the ... General Blackberry forum

bbpearldean no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31A3C466

desk top mananer question

Advertisement

I installed 4.5 on a new computer w/windows xp home edition. I cannot put the computer in standby b/c of "RIM virtual serival port Com1 is preventing the computer...." error. I removed & reinstalled DM & am able to shut down the computer w/o error or closing a program. I also updated drive driver.

I originally had 4.7 installed & Verizon stated that was for the Storm & should download 4.5?????

I am at a loss for what to do next.

Thanks in advance.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    dean,

Your message is a little confusing. You removed and reinstalled DM and are or are NOT able to shut down the computer?

Did you remove DM via Contol Panel>Add or Remove Programs? Here is a thread that will tell you how to make sure you've removed DM completely from your PC. I would also recommend that you install the 4.6 version of DM.

But first, use the thread I linked you to and reboot your PC. Then download and install DM 4.6 from here.

Hope this helps!

Roger

PIN/ID
    31A3C466
    I can't put into standby mode, I can shut done without errors, I did "remove" the program but didn't go into regedit, I will try this & donwload 4.6. Do you think the version is the problem.

Also on my work desktop I have 4.7 for a few weeks, with no problems, should I remove (as instructed) & install 4.6

Don't really think the DM version is the issue, but it's obviously not liking something with that installation.

If you're not having issues with 4.7, no need to do anything there.

PIN/ID
    31A3C466
    I'll try it when I get home,
    Thanks

PIN/ID
    31A3C466
    This did not work, when I remove DM, I was able to put my computer in standby mode, when I reinstalled DM, I was unable to put computer in standby mode. It seems something is running in backround (program open) preventing computer to go into standby. When I restart computer, before reboot, you would think a program would pop up waiting to shut down, but it doesn't.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Is Device manager set to start atomaticly when windows starts. If so maybe try to uncheck that. I guess even though unlikly if it is running in back ground it might stop you from going to standby.

PIN/ID
    31A3C466
    I thought of that myself & did uncheck-same result

PIN/ID
    31A3C466
    Does anyone have any insight.

dean,

I did a google search on that error message and didn't really come up with a definitive answer, I'm afraid. Other people have reported that same problem, but no one could say how to resolve it.

I'll do some more digging around and keep you posted. Perhaps a call into RIM technical support is in order, though.

Regards,
    Roger

dean, did your PC come with XP Service Pack 3?

Another thought would be to check your power saving mode settings. Found this:

Windows has the ability to turn off certain devices for battery power saving, after a preset time of non-activity. These devices relate to NIC, Wireless, USB controller, COM ports etc ... If you have any external devices that use these ports, it needs to be checked if the connected devices are causing the system from turning the ports off - a process that happens often - when system entering hibernation, standby and/or shutdown.

Control Panel>Power Options
    Last edited by RogerG; 12-23-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Also, you can right-click on My Computer, go to Properties>Hardware>Device Manager. You should be able to change some power management settings in here as well by right-clicking on each device and going into Properties>Power Management.

PIN/ID
    31A3C466
    I looked & spent a few hours researching & trouble shoot. I think I'm going to remove once again & try to install on a different home computer. I;ll let you know if I run into problems on that computer.

I thank you very much for your persevance.

You're welcome! Hope you get this bugger figured out!