Hi all. My carrier adds some ugly ringtone to every Blackberry they sell. It is ... General Blackberry forum

asdf12321 no está en línea Stack level 2

Delete a preloaded ringtone

Advertisement

Hi all.
    My carrier adds some ugly ringtone to every Blackberry they sell. It is available to be assigned as the default ringtone for a profile or to a contact or group of contacts, but it's not listed in Media->Ringtones.
    My guess is it comes with the OS and its show when the device matches its vendor code. Is there a way to remove/hide it the same way you would do so with the vendor themes by editing a certain .alx file on my PC?

Re: Delete a preloaded ringtone

Quote Originally Posted by asdf12321 View Post
    Hi all.
    My carrier adds some ugly ringtone to every Blackberry they sell. It is available to be assigned as the default ringtone for a profile or to a contact or group of contacts, but it's not listed in Media->Ringtones.
    My guess is it comes with the OS and its show when the device matches its vendor code. Is there a way to remove/hide it the same way you would do so with the vendor themes by editing a certain .alx file on my PC?
    Yep. It can be edited out by changing a line in blackberry.alx. However, I would not recommend doing that, because it's too much hassle when all you really have to do is choose another tone. If you want to try it, though, be sure to back up blackberry.alx before you start editing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Note: By "deleting" the tone through editing blackberry.alx, you really don't delete it, you simply make it unavailable from any menu. So if you want to delete it to free memory, it won't work.

asdf12321 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for the info, I very much appreciate it.
    So the vendor themes for other carriers still use memory even when they are hidden, huh? That stinks.
    If I'm not gaining anything by hiding that ugly ringtone, I'm not going to mess with the blackberry.alx, however as an experiment I tried to browse through it to see the refference to that tune, and I couldn't find any mention to it or my carrier either by name or vendor number. Is there any other .alx file I should look besides blackberry.alx?

Quote Originally Posted by asdf12321 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I very much appreciate it.
    So the vendor themes for other carriers still use memory even when they are hidden, huh? That stinks.
    Some items stay resident in memory, some don't. Generally, if there's a separate file in the same directory as blackberry.alx with the .cod extension then it's respective application is not memory resident. Examples would be aftermarket software, like the Plazmic Theme Reader and it's themes, or Ascendo Photos, or something like that. Other items stay memory resident even after you "delete" them. Just for kicks sometime, delete the generic BlackBerry pictures that are in the "Pictures" area. You know, the arch, dolphins, all those pictures that come with most (if not all) color screen Berrys. After they are deleted, and unavailable, do a backup and then a device wipe. After the wipe, the pictures are back! So they never were really deleted at all!
    If I'm not gaining anything by hiding that ugly ringtone, I'm not going to mess with the blackberry.alx, however as an experiment I tried to browse through it to see the refference to that tune, and I couldn't find any mention to it or my carrier either by name or vendor number. Is there any other .alx file I should look besides blackberry.alx?
    No, it's in blackberry.alx. Search for the word "tune", and you'll see some bundles of instructions, some relating to the type of device (CDMA, IDN, GSM, Mobitex, WLAN) and some directly for vendors (within their vendor "fileset"). To lose the tune, simply delete the command under your specific service provider (in their "fileset"). However, you're also deleting all the other default tunes for that provider, too, so hopefully you've got some ringtines downloaded to your device or your phone won't ring!Here's a snippet of a 7290 blackberry.alx:
    <!-- Orange France filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="7200" _vendorID="119">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_119.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Reduced" Java="1.0" _vendorID="119">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_119_240x260.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8700" _vendorID="119">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_119_320x240.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

<!-- Verizon US filesets -->

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Reduced" Java="1.0" _vendorID="105">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_105_240x260.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="~7200" _vendorID="105">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_105_320x240.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

<fileset Sound="MidiAdpcm2" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_midiadpcm2.c od
    </files>
    </fileset>

<fileset Sound="Tunes8700g" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g.c od
    </files>
    </fileset>

<fileset Sound="Tunes7100i" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes7100i.c od
    </files>
    </fileset>

<fileset Sound="Tunes7130c" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes7130c.c od
    </files>
    </fileset>
    The top of this "fileset" identifies the carrier. At the bottom of the snippet, there's several tune instructions for each model of BB. For an example, the last command in the snippet is for the 7130. If you had a 7130 and your service provider is Orange and you didn't want the default tunes, delete the code that starts with "<fileset" and ends with "fileset>" I made that bit bold.

However, I think the best thing is to simply not choose the tone and don't worry about it