OK, folks, I need some advice here. I'm trying to get acceptable home internet, get ... General Blackberry forum
Decisions, decisions, decisions - I need help!
OK, folks, I need some advice here. I'm trying to get acceptable home internet, get fiance new service/phone, home phone service, and upgrade my 8320.
Here are the facts in my situation:
1. I live in an area where I either have to go with satellite internet, or the local cable company. Both are over $65/month! DSL isn't available where I'm at. It may be in the next 6 months (I stopped an AT&T tech this morning at a local CO and asked him about it...)
2. I have a 8320 w/TMO and am 14 months in to my 2-year contract.
3. With TMO, I don't have EDGE service where I live, only GPRS. Tethering with GPRS is unacceptable. I get <20K throughput.
4. AT&T has EDGE where I live. I can "occasionally" get on the EDGE system by going to manual connection on my Curve. I've tethered on EDGE, and it works acceptably. I get about 140K throughput.
5. My fiance recently moved in with me. She is on Verizon using a basic LG phone, and her contract expires in November, and will need new service.
6. She likes my Curve!
7. She wants a "home" phone.
8. I'd like to get a faster phone.
9. I have a TMO (aka LinkSys) wireless router for Wi-Fi.
As I see it, I have the following options:
A. Keep my curve, get her a curve (or 8220, she thinks it looks "cool",) bite the bullet and get cable internet, and use my router and do the @ Home thing.
B. Let her have my Curve, get me a Javelin and do as above.
C. Switch to AT&T for cell service, get me a Bold, let her have my Curve, get cable internet and do Vonage, Magic Jack, or some such thing. Is tethering a possibility?
D. Switch to Verizon for cell service, get me a Thunder, get her a Curve, get cable internet and do Vonage, Magic Jack, or some such thing. Is tethering a possibility?
E. Other options (please suggest!!!)
I currently have a My Faves pkg, internet/email, and 400-txt msg pkg. She would need the same.
I don't know how much tethering would run with AT&T or Verizon.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
If you are interested in Tethering, I would stay away from options D and C due to the extra costs required for tethering (on top of the BB service). If I was in your position, I think I would go with Option A since there has been no official announcements on Javelin (although that may change by the time her contract expires).
I can tell you ATT tethering is 80$, hope this helps!
Per month?!? On top of regular charges, or what?
Originally Posted by thbassman
I'd suggest option A. Tmobile has the best price for unlimited data and their home phone service is $10.
~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
you should also add unlimited txt for 19.99 and it covers both phones for thatsame price on option a.
Its a BB pckg as well but instead of being 30 or 40 like most pckgs they double it for the privilege of tethering.
Originally Posted by wyy183
~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Tmobiles Hotspot calling or there @home service requires you to have high speed internet. So I'm not sure that's going to help.
You should stay with T-Mo, get your cable internet and do their home wifi zone (whatever they call it). If you both have cell phones with the free calls/data when in wifi, why do you need a home phone number?? (ie. skip vonnage altogether).
I've done some more checking on things. It seems that I'm about 10 miles away from Verizon's high-speed area. AT&T looks about the same (opposite direction, fwiw...) My guess is TMO will probably "clip" me about the same.
SHE is just feeling antsy because this is her first time not having a home phone. Granted, it's more psychological than anything (if you've ever been in any kind of a relationship, you KNOW what I mean!!)
If the Javelin will be released in early November, I can go with option B, otherwise I'm stuck with option A.
I want to thank everyone for this support and suggestions with this!!
~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~go with tmobiles @home service $10 landline and you can use the router for your curve.
Tags for this Thread