Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With the way the economy is going I know a lot of us are looking ... General Blackberry forum

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Data Usage? Are you conscious about it?

Advertisement

With the way the economy is going I know a lot of us are looking at ways at saving money. I try to be more conscious about my spending but am always looking at different ways of saving money. I've been very fortunate for quite sometime to have a corporate Blackberry and not have to pay for my services. Now that I no longer am employed with my former company it was enivitable that I was going to have to pay for my mobile telecommunication services again. I've always been die hard believer of just having unlimited data services as it is something that can be difficult to measure. I just wanted to see how many people are very conscious about their monthly data usage and have they tried to go from an unlimited data package to an alotted package such as a 100mb plan? I'm considering going to a lower alotted package as it will save me $15 a month off my current bill of $90. I'm just not too sure if this would be a wise idea as I'm still new with my current carrier and have never checked in the past how much data I used to use.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    BES, You might be wise to monitor your data usage fora month or so to determine how your usage is now. The info should be somewhere on your monthly statement. My data usage is the very last thing on my bill - that's Alltel - I'm sure they are all a little different. You might be able to check it online...maybe.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Blackfish thanks for the info but I haven't gotten my bill yet as I'm still new with T-mobile. I was just more curious than anything to see if I was the only one that might be attempting to save a few bucks here and there. I know 15 bucks ain't much but every little bit helps I guess. I also wanted to see how much data usage other people are using as I'm not using it for all business purposes my data usage has drastically dropped from what it used to be.

Yep. A buck's a buck. I think my "unlimited" plan really allows 5gb. I don't remember how much I use but it's below 1gb and a LOT lower that that sometimes. I used to have a T-mo account but I don't remember if they post usage or not. You can always call their CS and ask how you can find out usage.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

makija no está en línea Stack level 3
    never do i worry because i got 6gig of data monthly which is way more then i can ever use even with work email personal email facebook radio stream surf msn etc i dont come close to 2 gigs

khmertsunami no está en línea Stack level 2
    Somewhere between 2gb to 3gb per month for me. Which jumped since you stackers introduced me to all these cool apps.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Man i just moved to t-mo. on sprint i was using 2-3gigs a month. now having wi-fi should slow that down but i guess my big thing is, i just dont want to have to worry about it. therefore i just stick with unlimited.

but if you can save a buck, give it a shot.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by BES Noob View Post
    Blackfish thanks for the info but I haven't gotten my bill yet as I'm still new with T-mobile. I was just more curious than anything to see if I was the only one that might be attempting to save a few bucks here and there. I know 15 bucks ain't much but every little bit helps I guess. I also wanted to see how much data usage other people are using as I'm not using it for all business purposes my data usage has drastically dropped from what it used to be.

You must be looking at one of the new smartphone plans instead of the all-in-one device plans. On a BB, T-mobile doesn't even recommend (and niether do we in our shop) use of the "phone data" plan due to the amount of data that can flow in and out of a BB device depending on what applications you have installed. When they launched the original setup for the new packaged web/messaging bundles they listed the 8120 and 8220 as "phone data" capable units but now they just bundle all the blackberry's into the "all-in-one Devices" section.

As for the op, I pay no attention to my data and would probably be shocked if I ever did check it since I stay logged in on yahoo messenger and google talk all day long not counting the emails and web browsing I do. Most of it is on wi-fi but I can just imagine what it shows.

Zo

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Having not seen my detailed billing I don't think a 100mb would work for me. Considering that I use bbm and get a bunch of emails on a regular basis. I would feel much safer just sticking to a regular unlimited data plan. I had to bump my bill up 10 dollars more to get mobile to mobile calling which I thought would be standard like with Verizon or ATT but obviously not with T-mobile unless you get 600 min w/ fav. 5 or 1000 anytime minutes. Kind of a downer to start with a 78 dollar bill a month now closer to 90 bucks.

Frankly, BES, I doubt if 100mb would do it for most BB users if you do much of anything with your phone. I also think the more you have it, privately or not, the more you're going to use it and a lot of that usage will translate into data usage.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I think in terms of pricing for unlimited...while TMo may not have the "best" service as far as coverage...I find that they've had the best prices for unlimited BIS plans...unless that's changed recently...I have been with TMo since 2001 and got my first BB back in 2006...I've never had to worry about going over my usage.
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)

Quote Originally Posted by ryfoster View Post
    I think in terms of pricing for unlimited...while TMo may not have the "best" service as far as coverage...I find that they've had the best prices for unlimited BIS plans...unless that's changed recently...I have been with TMo since 2001 and got my first BB back in 2006...I've never had to worry about going over my usage.
    I agree that T-mo used to have the best pricing for unlimited by far! I even switched from Allter, 12-year account, to get their pricing and to go to a GSM provider for "outside the US" usage. That was a big mistake purely because of the very spotty coverage in Arkansas and Litte Rock specifically. As far as I know they STILL don't even have an official retail T-Mo store in AR.

The fact remains, price make NO difference if you have signal issues. Much of the coverage is roaming off of AT&T towers and their coverage is a little bit of an issue here too. In Arkansas, T-Mobile coverage is not worth a free account - I DID like their CS tho.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Fortunately signal issues are not an issue for me so I do have many choices when it comes to carriers. I had Verizon for over 10 years and have come to not really care much for their service. Working at my last company I had the chance to experience all the major carriers on a commercial level and got to experience the best and worst of each carrier through experience. Most people I know that already have T-mobile never have anything really bad to say so I figured I would give them a shot and see how it goes.

BES, If you get good coverage from T-Mobile where you are I'd say go for it! They generally have great CS - that's worth a lot - and their pricing and available products are good. Good luck.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have unlimited data with my carrier, it's the only choice. They won't sell one without it. If I did have a choice for a cheaper plan with less data I don't think I would take it. I would rather give up a couple trips to Starbucks or other similar things and keep my unlimited data
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast