I am looking into finally getting a data plan for my blackberry. Being a college ... General Blackberry forum

jaime1202 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Data Plans?? Opinions/help would be great!

Advertisement

I am looking into finally getting a data plan for my blackberry. Being a college student, money is a bit tight. Cingular has some decently priced plans which can include either 5 or 10 MB data per month. How much is this? I don't plan on using the internet too much. I wanted to get the data plan so that I could use navigation on occasion, or maybe to check email/browse the web once in a while. Is 5-10MB a decent amount? I'll be honest, I'm clueless.

I'm also considering switching from cingular to TMobile for the price differences, but I am afraid of sacrificing signal strength/coverage. I live in South Jersey, which I know tends to be weak... any comments?

Thanks!

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Data Plans?? Opinions/help would be great!

Hello and welcome Jaime,
    If you use your cingular on the BIS only, you can get an unlimited for $30. Browsing the web can eat up data pretty quick.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

^^ agree on the eating up data point...

bb's are like pringles...well, sorta like pringles. once you use the bb to surf the net, you won't be able to stop with just a few kb here and there i would suggest signing up for the unlimited bis plan, before you accidentally go over the per mb used and are paying an outrageous bill...

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

The Unlimited plan sounds like your best bet!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

IIRC the unlimited BIS plan is actually less than the 4MB plan. Granted, the 4MB plan has BES access but it's doubtful that you need that.

Amahk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242B3987

Quote Originally Posted by jaime1202
    I am looking into finally getting a data plan for my blackberry. Being a college student, money is a bit tight. Cingular has some decently priced plans which can include either 5 or 10 MB data per month. How much is this? I don't plan on using the internet too much. I wanted to get the data plan so that I could use navigation on occasion, or maybe to check email/browse the web once in a while. Is 5-10MB a decent amount? I'll be honest, I'm clueless.

I'm also considering switching from cingular to TMobile for the price differences, but I am afraid of sacrificing signal strength/coverage. I live in South Jersey, which I know tends to be weak... any comments?

Thanks!
    I was going through this exact predicament. I'm a student and I was seriously considering switching to Tmo since their data plan is $10 cheaper but I was afraid I'd have less coverage. I'm in Atlanta but when I did research in Maryland last summer one of the other researchers kept losing connection with Tmo. She'd come to borrow my phone to make calls sometimes, that's how bad it was lol.

What I did look into with Cingular though was Student Discounts. Currently I'm getting 15% off my service charges so although I have the 39.99 Voice plan and the 39.99 data plan(Unlimited Data + 1000 SMS) it took $17 off my bill last month for some strange reason. So check into that on their website. If you need help feel free to PIN/email me. I'd recommend doing it on their website instead of in person.

Good luck

ericjmess no está en línea Stack level 2

I also just went through the same process. If you get a blackberry from Cingular, you have to get the blackberry plan from Cingular. There are 2 options, personal and business. The personal plan, the one you would want, is $29.99 per month. Those cheaper data plans are only good for smartphones. Even the blackjack can't use them, for the blackjack the cheapest plan is the PDA unlimited which is $39.99 per month. AMAHK got the 1000minutes + Blackberry personal + voice plan... so that is why his blackberry unlimited is $39.99. If you don't use text messaging (SMS) then don't get the 1000minute add on, and your bill will run $39.99 voice + $29.99 data (and the 15% off student discount). I don't use SMS, I just tell everyone to email me or PIN me or I use jivetalk which uses data instead of SMS.

good luck, have fun with your new phone.

DeviOne no está en línea Stack level 2

i have the blackberry personal max plan to... im not exactly a college student but i am in school to be a pharmacy tech, with a 3 y/o ,and a baby due in 2 weeks..lol so i guess i can relate when it comes to money being a lil tight..lol but the personal max plan works for us and it makes it almost inpossible for us to go over because its unlimited.

jaime1202 no está en línea Stack level 1

I had no idea that there even was a student discount! Thanks so much guys.. for all the advice.. I am learning so much.. keep the info coming lol

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

Glad you got the info you needed Jaime, as you can see this a wonderful place to yell if you need help

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

If you are thinking of switching carriers, then you need to make sure you will have proper coverage. Even if the data plan is cheap, if you don't have service, it is too expensive.