I have cingular and just recently purchased a Blackberry 8700c. I am a college student ... General Blackberry forum

jaime1202 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Data Plans

Advertisement

I have cingular and just recently purchased a Blackberry 8700c. I am a college student and just want to have unlimited internet access so I can browse the web and use GPS. Does anyone know if Cingular has a cheap plan for just this? I found a few different ones, but I wasn't too sure what they included- and of course they are closed Sunday. I did a search online and also found a cingular rep who suggested a $20 mediaMAX data package that will give you unlimted access to the web that will not use your minutes, whether you're using a phone, a PDA, or even a laptop card.. anyone know if that works?

Also, stupid question, but is a blackberry considered a "smart phone?".. as we can tell I am a slight bit clueless If so, I found a $20 SmartPhone Connect unlimited w/Express mail plan..

Thanks guys!

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Data Plans

Jaime, The Mediamax data package will not work with the Blackberry and cannot be used for BB email. I believe the Cheapest unlimited plan at Cingular is $29.99 as an add on to a voice plan per month. If that number is wrong, it's higher.

For purposes of the SmartPhone Connect, I don't think this would cover Blackberries. You probably want to ask the company whose card it is.

Hope that helps.

likefre no está en línea Stack level 4

Welcome to the stacks Jaime1202!!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Smartphone connect will not work with a BB. As ljbyar said, you must have a BB dataplan for Internet and email access. That is via any carrier, not just Cingular. BBs are not ordinary cell phones and must communicate via the RIM servers. The only way to do this securley is via the BB dataplan.

As for cost, Cingular's unlimited BIS plan $34.99 or $29.00 with a qualified voice plan. I have heard that there is some sort of new plan which includes text messages but I do not know anything about it. You could allways call Cingular and inquire about it.

Also, GPS is not an imbedded application on the 8700c. I think you can get access to Cingular's Telenav for about $10 a month.

jaime1202 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the info!
    I have a feeling i purchased a phone that isn't practical for my needs. I just need the web. Not all this fancy stuff for all this extra money. Next time I know to do more research!!

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

Welcome!