I have a user that I am supporting who uses the blackberry pearl w/ t-mobile ... General Blackberry forum

lemonlaw no está en línea Stack level 1

DAT file messages BB Internet Service

Advertisement

I have a user that I am supporting who uses the blackberry pearl w/ t-mobile service. We set him up to use the internet service and forward email from this work email account to a yahoo.com account to view on his phone.

The email works, but he receives a message from the internet service with .DAT files attached saying that it is an automatic response from the server.

His outlook is setup to forward all incoming emails to his yahoo account automatically, but the messages come back to his Outlook account.

Any ideas? If I'm in the wrong forum, please direct me, I didn't see one that fit the bill. Thanks!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: DAT file messages BB Internet Service

.DAT is an email issue, but it can't be diagnosed unless you know what created it. It is generally an Outlook issue and in winmail.dat for the file name.

I used Google and here is the first hit I had: http://www.gpc.edu/~jbenson/resource/winmail.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub
    .DAT is an email issue, but it can't be diagnosed unless you know what created it. It is generally an Outlook issue and in winmail.dat for the file name.

I used Google and here is the first hit I had: http://www.gpc.edu/~jbenson/resource/winmail.htm
    I saw that one too, didn't think that it applied since the file shows up as an ETP.dat file and not winmail.dat, and is returned from etp.na.blackberry.net, the message with it reads:

"This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server."

It shows up on the blackberry and also shows up on the outlook client.

I think I figured this out:
    The ETP.dat file is a file sent back to the client for verification for the Blackberry Enterprise server. It is a message that includes the users' encrypted password and account information so that the device can be activated on the Enterprise Server.

Apparently the Redirector service does it too, so uninstalling the software and reinstalling (or running the Modify option) allows you to remove the redirector and it appears to correct the problem.

I hope this helps somebody!