Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i got my blackberry wet over the weekend and it wouldnt power on so i ... General Blackberry forum

xillwillx no está en línea Stack level 1

curve 8310 or new iphone

Advertisement

i got my blackberry wet over the weekend and it wouldnt power on so i went to at&t to get a new one and faced the dilemna of choosing between the iphone and the curve
    pros for iphone:
    new 3g network
    more apps to do cooler stuff
    once its jailbroken of course
    camera records video
    can stream camera to website for real-time viewing
    remote desktop app

cons:
    no keyboard
    no sms texting

at&t for curve sucks because of speed.. not sure if a blackberry firmware update will include support for 3g. also at&t charges an additional fee if you want to tether curve to laptop even though im paying for internet service

dont get me wrong i like the curve but lack of open source and free apps for power users would be better what do u guys think?

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Hey choose the device that you feel is going to be better for you. Some choose the iphone and then come back, but not everyone does. Best wishes on your decision.

mithed no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31b2be00
    Not sure about the service for the BB on ATT, but my boss and I like to go back and forth about her iPhone and my BB. From what I have seen she has had some issues when dealing with CS from both. She had email problems and ATT told her it was an apple issue. She went to the apple store...they told her it was an ATT issue! I think she finally got it solved, but she still loses emails.

One other problem I see is that it IS a touch-screen. Lost calls due to accidentlally tapping your touchscreen could mean a loss of business if that is what you primarilly use it for.

For me one HUGE advantage is physically having a keyboard. I dont have enormously fat fingers but when I tried to type a message on her phone it came out as gibberish.

Those are just MY thoughts on it though. I would say that you need to evaluate what your use for it will be and let that decide what phone would work best.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Go to the iPhone forum on Pinstack and read up on the bad chip that's causing dropped calls and non-existent 3g, 10 minute battery life, MobileMess for email, serious security issues for enterprise, etc., then drive on down to your At&t store tommorow and pick up your new Blackberry.

mic8310 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25588d8d
    I haven't actually played with an iphone but I had a pda which was only touch screen and I'd never have another mobile without a keyboard again, if you send a lot of sms or mails it'll drive you mad after a while. Feature wise it sounds like a good phone but the lack of keyboard would be the ultimate make or break for me regardless. It even makes your eyes tired looking at little squares on the screen, at least with a keyboard you can feel your way around it.

I love my 8310

ikasen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    The iphone is the way to go. I had a Curve recently before I got my iphone, I loved my Curve, but the iphone is the next step up. The lack of a keyboard is a non issue. It takes longer than just playing with it to get used to the virtual keyboard, but it is absolutely no problem. The supposed bad chip will be dealt with with software, the 10 minute battery life is just ranting by people that have no idea what they are talking about, as for Mobileme, I don't use it.
    I have no idea whether the Bold will step up to being as good as the iphone or not, but it's not one of your choices and can't be gotten yet anyway.
    If it's just between the 8310 or the iphone, I can speak to that with real knowledge as I've had them both. Surprise yourself and try the iphone, it doesn't make you a traitor or a crazy person like some people would claim. There will always be more choices in the future.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Like I said earlier, check out the Pinstack iPhone forum. Heck, check Apple's forums and see what iPhone users have been saying. Google it, and read a few articles.
    Then head on down and pick up your new Blackberry.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    I've read many posts and articles on both. I've seen more rants about the iphone, but maybe because the iphone is on the hotplate right now. But I'd rather not have to deal with messed up radio software and coverage, no keyboard, and no plans for a tethered option. All the addon apps are a plus though.

jiggaman2g no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301D5887
    I was going through the same dilemma when the iphone came out. I thought it was such an amazing gadget. But you know what? It is just that a gadget! Like it has been said before you need to asses what your going to use the thing for, I hate it that ppl are comparing these 2 phones to one another. The bb is a FAR more superior business tool to an person using it for just that.email handling is on a "push" method instead of a "pull" with the iphone. Toys and Multimedia trickery the Iphone hands down! Serious staying power and reliability bb curve kills it. Do yourself a favor....check the iphone rants on this site and also type in google "why the 3g iphone sucks" and that will shed some light on a ton of things that it won't do! It was quite a sobering read for me. And after that type "why bb curve sucks" and see the things that are said there, I think 3 ppl had something to say there vs a million with iphones. Anyway sorry to be so long, hope it helps.

xillwillx no está en línea Stack level 1
    if i could get video capabilities soon and know that a new firmware upgrade will allow me to use the new 3g network i think i probably will stay with blackberry.. i wish at&t would cut the tethering costs so i can use with my laptop
    i think most of my gripes are with at&t and not the blackberry itself
    although sometime i get pissed when i have to reboot to clear out the txt msg preview that gets stuck in the preview window

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by xillwillx View Post
    if i could get video capabilities soon and know that a new firmware upgrade will allow me to use the new 3g network i think i probably will stay with blackberry.. i wish at&t would cut the tethering costs so i can use with my laptop
    although sometime i get pissed when i have to reboot to clear out the txt msg preview that gets stuck in the preview window
    New OS versions for the curve series include video recording, it's not the best looking, but the feature is there. No firmware upgrade will make existing BB's 3G capable, just like no firmware upgrades gave us GPS or WiFi if it wasn't built into the device. I don't think AT&T has any plans for tethering the iPhone, except with an app they keep pulling from the store.

krikor222 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    i got my blackberry wet over the weekend and it wouldnt power on so i went to at&t to get a new one and faced the dilemna of choosing between the iphone and the curve
    pros for iphone:
    new 3g network
    camera records video
    remote desktop app

cons:
    no keyboard
    no sms texting

at&t for curve sucks because of speed.. not sure if a blackberry firmware update will include support for 3g. also at&t charges an additional fee if you want to tether curve to laptop even though im paying for internet service

dont get me wrong i like the curve but lack of open source and free apps for power users would be better what do u guys think?
    Watch these! Although your comparing it to a Blackberry, maybe you can see all the things the iPhone doesnt have, like video recording...

http://www.instinctthephone.com/?dl=video/vs
    Shawn K.

Device: BlackBerry Curve 8330 v4.5.0.56
    Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)
    PIN: 3022BBE5

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ultimately the choice is yours, but here is my opinion as a former (unfortunately) blackberry user who defected to the iphone 3g.

Quote Originally Posted by xillwillx
    pros for iphone:
    new 3g network
    Haven't been reading about problems with the iPhone's 3G? It's not a network problem because it is happening worldwide. In areas where 3G should be strong (such as my house), I get "No Service" when 3G is enabled. It takes a couple minutes to drop to EDGE. It is rumored to be an immature chipset from Infineon that is the problem, and it is also rumored that Apple will try to fix this with a future firmware update. Whether this solves the problem or not is still in question.

Can't really argue this one, I downloaded a lot of free apps and only a few paid ones, and they are all cool or useful. Too bad they took down phonesaber, but I got it before they took it down!

Unless there's a compelling reason or app to jailbreak it, I'm not going to deal with the headache.

camera records video
    Unless there's a jailbreak app available, no, it does not record video.

Again, unless there's a jailbreak app available to do this, the iPhone does not have this feature/app available.

remote desktop app
    I read about a couple of these but haven't tried it myself.

cons:
    no keyboard
    This is ctually a big deal and does make typing a lot more difficult. I can type at about the same speed, but make a lot of mistakes and autocorrect corrects words that I didn't want corrected a lot of times. And the biggest problem is no track-ball or easy way to move the cursor...holding your finger and sliding the cursor to correct words is very tedious.

no sms texting
    Iphone has SMS messaging. Just no MMS.

I think you are a little confused. NO firmware upgrade will enable a non-3G device to support 3G.

Further, you always have the trial period to use the iphone and return it within 30 days if you don't like it (paying a restocking fee and services used). The problem with that is if you want to purchase another AT&T phone, they won't give you a discount again if you don't cancel the contract, and if you cancel it's something like 30 days until you can resign and get the subsidized price for another phone.

I fell for the hype of the iPhone, and I am paying for it. Just the problems/bugs/defects made this the WORST consumer experience I have ever had with any product. And this doesn't even include my experience with mobile me.

Trust me...people who rave about the iphone didn't come from a blackberry. Most of the people that rave about the iPhone came from regular cell phones. But even then, it's no where near the hype that people made it out to be and I would not stand in a line of 3 people to buy this thing, let alone stand in line for hours for it.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Get the Thunder.

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    why pay $80 plus dollars a month for Tethering with your phone when you can get the Air card for $65 and unlimited airtime....and in my opinion its faster....plus it saves your battery on your phone.
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast