Thought i would share my solution to charging the Blackberry from a USB port (PC ... General Blackberry forum

am_bb8800 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up CRACKED, USB Charging with NO Driver's

Advertisement

Thought i would share my solution to charging the Blackberry from a USB port (PC or USB portable Charger) without DRIVERS!!!!

I could not work out for the life of me how the 2 drivers triggered the PC USB port to charge the Blackberry until now. They trigger a "turn on" supply to pin 2 of the USB cable which the Blackberry Unit sees and turns on its on board charging circuit.

I played around with some spare USB cables, resistors, power supplies and have found a solution to charge the BB from any USB port (PC) or from any portable USB charger.

The secret is this......are you ready......all you need is a bleed resister across pin 1 (positive) and pin 2 (white core of USB cable) and thats it. Your BB will charge without the warning message and with the lightning bolt.

The trigger point is very low, even if you touch the white core of the cable (pin 2 cable) the trigger turned on so i guessed it didn’t need much to trigger the charging circuit in the BB. I went from no resistor (positive straight to pin 2) to 2.2M ohm (all worked) and in the end thats what I chose 2.2M ohm. The there is no heat generated and so far no harm the the BB.

Some Testing

1. With the BB plugged in with only pins 1 & 4 connected (positive and negative) to a regulated power supply, the amp meter registered 91mA until the the lightning bolt disappeared and the current went to 0mA. The power supply i used can deliver 15A consistently if required.
    2. With the BB plugged in with pins 1 & 4 connected (positive and negative) to a regulated power supply, the amp meter registered 91mA until the the lightning bolt disappeared then after you momentarily trigger pin 2 with a positive feed the current draw went to 556mA and stayed constant (without pin 2 connected "the trigger").
    3. Conclusion- :

The BB unit turns on its internal charging circuit and its not the PC turning on 500mA
    For pic's you can email me for my website as i can't post links just yet.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Re: CRACKED, USB Charging with NO Driver's

Welcome to the Stacks!

An interesting read. Not sure how practical it is for most stackers, tho. Plus if you just use the USB charger cable that came with your phone (or can be purchased separately if you bought it used without the cable) you can do this without having to go to Radio Shack to get a "bleed resistor" or whatever the heck that is.

Thanks for contributing.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

And I would be very careful as this solution does not appear to reduce the current to the trickle charge that protects the battery from overcharging when full. Attempting to get around the Battery protection schema used by Blackberry may be dangerous, if connected to a damaged battery or left on too long.

Just my read on this.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

MT
    MT no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You sound like me... A tweaker who always believes no matter how good something is it can always be made better.

I have learned some hard lessons and now just leave things alone! Esp with my precious bb

I'd be carefull messing with the power! Cool read though

am_bb8800 no está en línea Stack level 1

Gee we're a careful bunch around here, the charging circuit is on-board the BB unit itself so the BB will shut off the charge and not the PC. You will find that most modern electronic devices have the charging circuit on-board and not in the charger itself, Sony UX50 for example, especial with in-built batteries, iPod would be another example.

The main reason i did this mod was to have a cable that I could use in all portable USB style chargers. As you might know some cigarette lighter USB chargers work and other don't, so this cable will allow me to use them all. The added bonus is it can be used in PC's as well. If you read the threads some people have issues with some PC's which they need to install drivers to charge and others don't (I've had some issues). The cable alleviates that problem.

I have tested the BB charging cycle and all is well, it turns off when fully charged. The other point i'll make is that i have disconnected the Green (pin 3) cable so I don't see the "USB Flash Drive" message on the BB. This cable is for charging only and I carry this cable when I'm traveling.

I have also tested the cable with all pins connected (standard USB-Mini USB as per the cable that comes with the BB) and added the 2.2M ohm resistor and it still worked in the PC with syncing etc.
    Last edited by am_bb8800; 10-20-2007 at 08:06 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I would also be careful. I fried 2 Pearls using a portable battery operated charger that ran on AA batteries and on a USB-powered charger.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

i kinda cant wait to heard post-mod post.... haha... i dont know what happened the Battery just blew up and caught fire...

devices come with stuff to be used with the device only... would you put nitrous fuel in your car after going to a drag show? hell NO! if dont know you would have to completely rebuilt and enforce the engine from the inside out before you could even attempt that....

use what the manufactures provide for their devices or "Approved for BB" after-market devices.

CoolFinalFan no está en línea Stack level 4

Lightbulb Re: CRACKED, USB Charging with NO Driver's

I'd be careful....! You'll shoot your eye out!!