1. How in the world does the 7100 know when it is in the HOLSTER ... General Blackberry forum

Knine no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32CBE9BD

Question Couple questions - some may be a little strange :)

Advertisement

1. How in the world does the 7100 know when it is in the HOLSTER or not? I am looking at getting a swivel holster for it off of www.blackberry.com and want to make sure it functions the same as the normal holster. I know, it sounds strange, but I can't seem to "FAKE" the device into thinking it is in the holster so - how does it know?

2. Text Messaging. While I know the BB can do PIN, MMS, and E-Mail, I can't seem to locate a standard TEXT messaging screen. I have some friends that haven't seen the benefit of a BB and only have standard phones that only do standard texting. I have tried to MMS them, and they don't get it unless their phone supports MMS. I read through the docs and really didn't see anything that specifically addressed texting. I know it HAS to do it, it does everything else - including changing the oil on the cars (I WISH, next rev I hear ).

3. 128 bit encryption. I have a couple web sites I need to access, but they require 128 or higher. I contacted support, they told me the bb doesn't do anytype of security. I don't think that is true, because I can access some sites that require SSL and it works just fine. Does the BB do 128 bit encryption?

4. Virii - Can the BB get a virus? I get tons of virii in my email that my LOCAL PC cleans out, but they are downloaded to my bb before they are scanned? Can the BB get a virus - well, I am sure it can, but I mean with the traditional type virii that are floating around now.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Couple questions - some may be a little strange :)

1. It seems to use a mini week magnet embedded inside the holster or case. Similar to the setup of a security window sensor. Correct me if i'm wrong.

2. You should be able to go to "Messages" and select compose SMS

3. The BB CAN access SSL sites yes. However, the 128-bit SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) gives you the highest level of protection possible whenever you use credit cards or make other financial or confidential transactions over the Internet. The Blackberry is only capable of 40-bit SSL connections.

4. There are only a hand full of any threats for BB. However, if you apply general security rules and not open attachments from unknow users etc you'll be very secure, for now Need more protection? try this

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

1) With sleeper cases, when u close the case, it has a sensor which automatically shuts down the BB. I do something similar to this with my laptop when I go to bed because the screen is too bright and keeps me awake (I go to Properties, Screensaver, Power Options and change the timing to 1 minute. My screen turns off after 1 minute of inactivity). On your BB, go to Options> Screen/Keyboard and choose how long u long it takes to turn off the backlight (from 10 seconds to 2 minutes).

2) Here's how you compose Messages. Go to the Messages icon on your main screen (unless you have it hidden which I accidentally did once), and a list of the following will appear (Email, PIN, SMS-this is text messaging, MMS)

3) I'm not sure but I think Hydn is correct on this. I've never used it.

4) There is a built in firewall on the BB. Go to Options> Security Options>Firewall and set the status to Enabled.

PIN/ID
    32CBE9BD

Actually, found out that Nextel BB doesn't support SMS. They say you have to address you SMS's like E-Mails.

What a buncha bs :-P

On another note, I tried to DL Yahoo Messenger for BB. For some reason it won't install.

I'll work on that one.

They support incoming SMS but not outgoing SMS. I think Yahoo is already preinstalled. Check your Messaging section on your BB

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

If you place a magnet near the mouthpiece of your Blackberry you'll see how it can tell that it's in a holster. The magnet in the OEM holster is in the lower portion of the holster on the side that would be nearest to your hip if you were wearing it on your belt. On models that come with the hard plastic holster you can easily see where the magnet is located because there's a circular hole that exposes a metal plate (the magnet, I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Knine
    Actually, found out that Nextel BB doesn't support SMS.
    Aha -- it helps if you specify the full model of your Blackberry (in some cases). 7100i would have made it clear that you were on Nextel, which is know for its SMS issues.

I've been using BB for almost 4 years now and I can identify the proper network just by the model number lol I've memorized which carriers have what models (unless it's an unlocked BB) lol I guess I AM addicted to BlackBerries LOL

PIN/ID
    32CBE9BD

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Aha -- it helps if you specify the full model of your Blackberry (in some cases). 7100i would have made it clear that you were on Nextel, which is know for its SMS issues.
    Yes, you are correct. My bad. I thought I still had it as my avatar and didn't even think about it.

Erica - Yahoo isn't installed on my bb. I have searched high and low and the only thing I have is the Messanger, which you and I were using.

So, what is the common chat program for bb's. I have noticed several people on here have google chat.

I prefer yahoo, only because that is what my work uses internally and I could communicate with everyone while I was out.