I've looked around the forum for answers but still not sure so I've got questions ... General Blackberry forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Question Content store and cookies

Advertisement

I've looked around the forum for answers but still not sure so I've got questions about two things.

1. What's in the bb "content store"? If I cleared it through DM what would I lose? What are the pros and cons to clearing it?

2. Cookies, I have almost 200 hundred cookies stored, some threads say delete them some say don't. Again what would I lose and what are the pros and cons to deleteing the cookies? Is there a way to view the list of cookies and choose what to delete or do I delete the whole batch?

Your input is appreciated, thanks

Re: Content store and cookies

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I've looked around the forum for answers but still not sure so I've got questions about two things.

1. What's in the bb "content store"? If I cleared it through DM what would I lose? What are the pros and cons to clearing it?

2. Cookies, I have almost 200 hundred cookies stored, some threads say delete them some say don't. Again what would I lose and what are the pros and cons to deleteing the cookies? Is there a way to view the list of cookies and choose what to delete or do I delete the whole batch?

Your input is appreciated, thanks
    Content Store is media files, specifically ringtones and pictures, on BlackBerry applications that are not aftermarket. If you have aftermarket software on your device that stores media files, those are stored in an area called RMS Databases.

Cookies work the same as they do on a PC. If you log in to, for example, Yahoo, and choose the "stay logged in" option, then Yahoo leaves a cookie on your device; the next time you go to Yahoo, the cookie logs you in automatically. There are also lots of settings that can be stored in cookies. Deleting them is simply a matter of preference, it will not harm the device at all.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

I often get suspicious that a huge pile of cookies may be slowing me down... so I opt to clear them out -- and yes, as Mark said, this undoes persistent logins and the like; I don't mind.

Browsers on PCs (notably Firefox) give you fine-grain control over cookies: you can inspect them individually and selectively delete. I don't think that's available on Berries.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

[quote=Mark Stone;590149]Content Store is media files, specifically ringtones and pictures, on BlackBerry applications that are not aftermarket. If you have aftermarket software on your device that stores media files, those are stored in an area called RMS Databases.

OK, so can delete the batch of cookies and then for the sites I visit frequently I'll just have to sign in again but then I'll be rid of the bulk of the cookies I don't need. That'll work.

But, re: the content store, the only media files that are not on my memory card are ones that were pre-installed and locked, does that mean that clearing the content store won't do anything? If I back up the device first, then clear the content store is it easily restorable if it gets rid of something I need?

The RMS database is only 2.7k so I don't need to mess with that, but almost 500k in the content store would be nice to have freed up.

My Berry is still so new, I'm still a bit afraid of it, don't want anything ugly to happen.

But, re: the content store, the only media files that are not on my memory card are ones that were pre-installed and locked, does that mean that clearing the content store won't do anything? If I back up the device first, then clear the content store is it easily restorable if it gets rid of something I need?
    The pre-installed ringtones and pictures can not be deleted. On earlier OSs they could (sort of) but not really. On the early color screen BBs and I think up through OS 4.1 on the 7100 series there existed the option to delete the pre-installed ringtones and pictures; and if you did so, it appeared to free up some memory. But they were never really gone. After deleting them, if you do a device wipe - they come back! So they were never really gone in the first place. On devices running 4.2 and later (AFAIK) the delete option is no longer there, but has apparently been replaced with "hide". Which is what the old Delete command did anyway - - -so to make a long story short, I think you're stuck with your pre-installed 500k of sounds and pictures