How do you sort or view contacts by category on the Blackberry? I have Curve ... General Blackberry forum

hyedipin no está en línea Stack level 3

contacts management and organization

Advertisement

How do you sort or view contacts by category on the Blackberry? I have Curve and I am planning to seperate my personal contacts from Business contacts. All I need is just two categories, I have about 600 contacts, and about 200 of them are personal, rest business with e-mail addresses etc.
    I can assign them to category in Outlook, and once it is synced how will I be able to swap from on to another? Or display only certain category.

I am just trying to organize my contacts and keep everything in one place, especially the ones where I have only their e-mail address, and no phone number (mainly business).

Also, how can I keep my contacts on the storage card instead of on board memory to save some space?

Thanks.
    My BlackBerry mini-blog topic: LINK

Re: contacts management and organization

Quote Originally Posted by hyedipin
    How do you sort or view contacts by category on the Blackberry? I have Curve and I am planning to seperate my personal contacts from Business contacts. All I need is just two categories, I have about 600 contacts, and about 200 of them are personal, rest business with e-mail addresses etc.
    I can assign them to category in Outlook, and once it is synced how will I be able to swap from on to another? Or display only certain category.

I am just trying to organize my contacts and keep everything in one place, especially the ones where I have only their e-mail address, and no phone number (mainly business).

Also, how can I keep my contacts on the storage card instead of on board memory to save some space?

Thanks.
    As far as using Outlook and keeping the contacts on a storage card, I don't know. On my 7105t I have 99 contacts, and they only use 31k of memory, so I wouldn't think that's an issue.

As far as sorting/viewing contacts by category on a BB, it's a simple procedure. To create categories, choose Address Book--Menu--Choose "Filter"--Menu:New.. To assign address book entries to a category, choose Address Book -- Highlight the entry you want to put in a category -- Edit -- Menu -- Categories -- Check the categories you want the contact in. Be sure to save your work! Then when you want to view the entries in a specific category, choose Address Book, Menu, Filter, then select the category.

Great, this seems to work fine. I never realized it was "filter" instead of groups. Thanks again! It seems like the filter will only pick either personal or business (or whichever other categories was assigned
    ) and not both or two at the same time. Anyway, since just two is enough for me it will be fine.
    Now, the question is, could there be a shortcut from the main icon grid, with two rolodecks, "Personal" and "Business" so that we don't have to swap back and forth from filter menu?

I guess with that kind of space usage there is no need to keep them on storage card, the reason I wanted to that is to keep everything backed up on storage card in case I mess up and lose them (and my PC crashes for some reason, losing address book data)

Thanks again for your help.

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I organize my address book like the yellow pages. I don't use categories. It just adds key strokes to get to someone. I put a "T" as the first letter in the last name. Then the tenant' name. This allows me to sort for all my tenants by entering "T". Try some of the sorting. It works great and saves time having to go down layers of menus.

Thanks Paul.

With 8300 (and possibly others) you do not need to sort them using T . Once you are on the home screen, you can simply type T and everyone who has a T in their [Name, Last Name, E-mail, Company] will show up, and it will sort it with Last Name starting with T first, then First Name starting with T, and then the rest sorting priority is up to it (which I don't know).

If you are simply grouping them by using a letter, that's of course another approach. You can put B then last time to all business contacts and P for all personal contacts, but there are times when a contact from other group will have the initial of the group it doesn't belong to. Especially when you have a huge database of contacts. Using filters will allow you to hide the members/contacts you really don't need to be sorting through.

I would like to hear what other tricks BB users have up their sleeves to make it more organized.

Thanks again for your help.
    You're welcome.

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by paullamm
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I organize my address book like the yellow pages. I don't use categories. It just adds key strokes to get to someone. I put a "T" as the first letter in the last name. Then the tenant' name. This allows me to sort for all my tenants by entering "T". Try some of the sorting. It works great and saves time having to go down layers of menus.
    Another cool idea is to code phone book entries with two-letter designations. For example, me and the lovely missus visit the Jockey Club hotel in Vegas frequently -- so I put the letters "JC" in front of every Jockey Club related phone # (Reservations, Front Desk, etc.) and then from the phone screen, home screen, or Address Book (depending on model, OS and Theme) I quickly type in "JC" and all the Jockey Club (and only the Jockey Club) numbers pop up.